A Dance with Dragons-Chapter 34
From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|A Dance with Dragons chapter|
|Page||448 Bantam HC (Other versions)|
|Chapter chronology (All)|
Bran, Hodor, Jojen, and Meera are still dwelling in the cave of the Children of the Forest and explore the cave. Bran wargs into Summer and Hodor. They begin to name some of them as their own names are unpronounceable by the human tongue. Bran names one of the females Leaf, as she is always adorned with leaves. She is one of the few children who can speak the Common Tongue. As well there are Ash, Scales, Black Knife, Snowylocks, and Coals.
The three-eyed crow teaches Bran how to warg into ravens, he learns that all of the ravens around the three-eyed crow have singers who have passed away and remain in the skins of these animals. He also learns to warg into weirwoods to look into the past. He tells Bran that he was once a lord called Brynden.
The three-eyed crow feeds Bran a bowl of weirwood paste to awaken his green seeing gifts. Bran sees his father, Eddard, through Winterfell's heart tree, and learns that you view the past through the weirwood. The last greenseer tells Bran that he is haunted by his own ghosts, a brother that he loved, a brother that he hated, and a woman that he desired, but knows from experience that you cannot change the past. The last greenseer gets tired and sends Bran away. Hodor carries Bran his bed.
In his bed Bran sees the following visions through the Winterfell heart tree:
- His younger father praying with a bowed head "…let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive.";
- A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches;
- A pregnant women coming out of the black pool praying for a son to avenge her;
- A slender girl on her toes kissing a knight as tall as Hodor;
- A pale dark eyed youth cutting three branches from the weirwood and shaping them into arrows;
- Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.
Character List appearing/mentioned
References and Notes
- ↑ If the Three-Eyed Crow is indeed Brynden Rivers, as implied, then the loved brother is probably Daeron II, the hated brother is probably Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers or perhaps Daemon Blackfyre, and the woman must be Shiera Seastar
- ↑ Possibly Bran's uncle Benjen Stark and late aunt Lyanna Stark; Bran finds the girl to be alike his sister Arya, who is said to remind people of a young Lyanna as per A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22
- ↑ It is believed to be Dunk kissing a young woman, likely a young Old Nan, at Winterfell foreshadowing the next Dunk and Egg story, The Shewolves of Winterfell.