Captain of the guards
Captain of the guards or captain of the guard is a position charged with the command of a castle's household guards. When the captain is away for a long period of time, a new captain can be appointed at his place. The commander of the garrison is a similar position.
Ser Merrell Bullock was the commander of the castle garrison at Dragonstone during the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen. In 54 AC, after Elissa Farman stole three dragon eggs from the Dragonstone hatcheries, he was relieved of his position by Princess Rhaena Targaryen. When Androw Farman asked if he could be made commander of the garrison in Ser Merrell's place, Rhaena and her ladies burst out laughing.
During the Dance of the Dragons, King Aegon II Targaryen retook Dragonstone from his half-sister, Rhaenyra Targaryen. His men hanged the captain of the guard from the battlements, alongside Ser Robert Quince, Grand Maester Gerardys, the master-at-arms, and the steward of the castle.
Ser Ilyn Payne, Lord Tywin Lannister's captain of the guards during his time as Hand of the King at King Aerys II Targaryen's court, had his tongue torn out with hot pincers for saying that it was Tywin who truly ruled the Seven Kingdoms. Ilyn later became Robert I Baratheon's King's Justice.
A Game of Thrones
At the start of the series, Jory Cassel has been serving as Winterfell's captain of the guard for more than eight years. Jory goes south with Lord Eddard Stark when he is appointed Robert's Hand, and Robb Stark selects Hallis Mollen as his replacement. Jory is eventually slain in the streets of King's Landing by House Lannister guards under orders from Ser Jaime Lannister. Jory is replaced as Ned's captain of the guards by Alyn. However, Alyn leaves the capital with the force led by Lord Beric Dondarrion to bring Ser Gregor Clegane to justice, and is replaced by Tomard. When Eddard is arrested in the throne room of the Red Keep, Tomard is slain by gold cloaks.
Hallis Mollen goes south with Robb Stark when he leaves Winterfell to fight the War of the Five Kings, carrying the banner of House Stark. During the battle in the Whispering Wood, Hallis personally commands the guards protecting Catelyn Stark, after asking for the honor.
A Clash of Kings
Vylarr, the captain of the red cloaks in King's Landing, is sent to Riverrun, leading an escort of one hundred men for the envoy, Ser Cleos Frey. Vylarr is unaware that as part of Tyrion's plan to free his brother, Ser Jaime Lannister, the escort also includes a thief, a poisoner, a mummer, and a murderer. After their arrival, the conspirators temporarily free Jaime, but the Kingslayer and the guards aiding him are soon subdued. Ser Edmure Tully hangs the four conspirators and any red cloaks who attempted to aid them, but those who did not (including Vylarr) are imprisoned.
A Storm of Swords
After Catelyn sets Jaime free, Edmure Tully sends Robin Ryger to recapture him. Robin and his men chase after the Kingslayer in a river galley. After Robin refuses Jaime's offer of single combat, Brienne of Tarth, Jaime's protector, sinks Robin's ship with a rock in the Red Fork. Robin and his men return to Riverrun footweary and drenched.
A Feast for Crows
Ser Harwyn Plumm clears the broken men from Darry, before Lord Lancel Lannister takes his seat there. Harwyn is later named commander of the garrison. Jaime suspects that Amerei Frey, Lancel's new wife, has an amorous interest in Harwyn. When Jaime warns Lancel, his cousin expresses his indifference, announcing that he is going to renounce lordship and marriage in favor of joining the Warrior's Sons, and that Harwyn can have both if he wants.
Ser Willam Wythers serves as captain of the guard for Queen Margaery Tyrell in King's Landing. During Queen Regent Cersei Lannister's plot to remove Margaery, she has Ser Willam occupied with various tasks around the Red Keep.
Areo is sent by Doran to put an end to Arianne Martell's plot to steal Princess Myrcella Baratheon away with the intention of crowning her Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. During the confrontation, Ser Arys Oakheart, Myrcella's sworn shield, charges Areo and his guards, and is slain by Areo. He then escorts Arianne back to Sunspear to await an audience with Doran. After she has spent several weeks in confinement, Areo retrieves Arianne and brings her to Doran.
Hallis Mollen continues to transport Eddard's bones to the north.
A Dance with Dragons
Areo is present at the feast where Ser Balon Swann of the Kingsguard presents Prince Doran Martell with the skull of Ser Gregor Clegane. Areo later joins Balon Swann and Obara Sand on their mission to hunt and kill the rogue knight Gerold Dayne.
Walton commands Roose Bolton's guards on his return to the North. Walton travels with Lord Bolton to Winterfell for the wedding of Ramsay to "Arya" (actually Jeyne Poole). After several men-at-arms are found dead, Walton escorts Theon Greyjoy to a meeting with Roose, Lady Barbrey Dustin, Roger Ryswell, and Ser Aenys Frey. Steelshanks and his men break up the fight between Manderlys and Freys when Ser Hosteen Frey attacks Lord Wyman Manderly.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 14, Catelyn III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 27, Eddard VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- The Mystery Knight.
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 37, Bran V.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 35, Eddard IX.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 45, Eddard XII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 49, Eddard XIV.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 40, Catelyn VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 17, Tyrion IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25, Tyrion VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 64, Arya X.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 1, Jaime I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 2, The Captain Of Guards.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 12, Cersei III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 30, Jaime IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 32, Cersei VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 40, Princess In The Tower.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 19, Davos III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.
- The Winds of Winter, Arianne I
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 32, Reek III.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Walton.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 46, A Ghost in Winterfell.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 51, Theon I.