The towerhouse has a fearsome reputation, one that lives up to that of its landed knight, Ser Gregor Clegane. It is said that servants disappear unaccountably, and even the dogs are afraid to enter the hall. There is a village under the keep.
The keep was given to the first Clegane knight, the kennelmaster at Casterly Rock, who saved Lord Tytos Lannister from a lion and lost a leg in the effort. A woodcarver set up shop in the village and made toys for the young Gregor and Sandor Clegane; a dispute over one of the toys led to Gregor burning the face of his younger brother. After a hunting accident killed the boys' father, Gregor inherited the keep and estates and Sandor left to serve House Lannister.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Gregor Clegane raids Sherrer, Wendish Town, and the Mummer's Ford in the riverlands, then retreats across the Red Fork into the westerlands. Lord Eddard Stark, the Hand of the King, charges Lord Beric Dondarrion with riding to Gregor's keep and bringing the king's justice to the knight. Beric's party is ambushed by Gregor in a battle at the Mummer's Ford, however.
- ↑ Game of Thrones Viewer's Guide
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Shadowcats and Clegane Lands, March 07, 2007
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 18, Sansa II.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 18, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.