|House of the Dragon|
|Original air date||October 2, 2022|
|Running time||59 minutes|
|Directed by||Miguel Sapochnik|
|Written by||Kevin Lau|
|List of episodes|
"Driftmark" is the seventh episode of the HBO medieval fantasy television series House of the Dragon. The runtime is 59 minutes. It is written by Kevin Lau, and directed by series co-creator Miguel Sapochnik. Music was composed by Ramin Djawadi.
The title of the episode is the name of the seat of House Velaryon.
As the families gather on Driftmark for a funeral, Viserys calls for an end to infighting and Alicent demands justice.
The Targaryens, Velaryons, and members of the royal court have all gathered at High Tide on Driftmark to attend the funeral of Lady Laena Velaryon. Ser Vaemond Velaryon gives the eulogy as Laena's casket is thrown into the sea. During the wake, Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen sends her son Jace over to Laena's daughters to reconfort them. Prince Aegon shows his disapproval of his recent betrothal to his sister, Princess Helaena. King Viserys offers a place in his court once again to his brother, Prince Daemon. Lord Corlys speaks about inheritance to his grandson, Prince Lucerys Velaryon. Ser Laenor Velaryon is desolate about his sister's passing.
At night, Rhaenyra and Daemon walk on the beach together, reconnect, and have sex. Lord Corlys and his wife, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, discuss the inheritance of Driftmark in front of the fire place of the Hall of Nine. Meanwhile, Prince Aemond Targaryen escapes from the castle to find Vhagar. He tries to discreetly mount her but only achieve to wake the old she-dragon up, Aemond manages to calm her down by commanding her in High Valyrian, however. Vhagar lets the princeling sit in her saddle and takes fly after he commands her to do so. The flight proves to be perioulous for Aemond at first but the two bond while in the air and Aemond enjoys his first ride on dragonback. Aemond is later confronted by Rhaena Targaryen who had hope to claim her late mother's dragon for herself. Rhaena is supported by her sister, Baela, as well as her cousins, Jace and Luke. The five children argue, a fight insues that ends with Luke slashing Aemond's eye with a dagger.
King Viserys questions the children about what happened. When he hears that Rhaenyra's sons have been called bastards, he gets angry and forbids everyone to speak such rumors again under penalty of losing their tongue. Queen Alicent Hightower is not satisfied and wants justice for the maiming of her son. She grabs Viserys' dagger from his hip and runs towards Luke to take his eye out herself but is stopped by Rhaenyra.
In the morning, Rhaenyra is afraid for her position as heir and wants to reinforce it by marrying her uncle. Daemon can not marry her so long as she is still married to Laenor, however. With the help of Laenor and Ser Qarl Correy, the two of them fake Laenor's death by placing a Velaryon servant in the fire place as a decoy for Laenor's body. Laenor and Qarl sail to Essos where they can finally enjoy a life together freed from the Westerosi customs.
Rhaenyra and Daemon are married by a Valyrian High Priest on the beach of Dragonstone. The ceremony is small and intimate, the only witnesses are their children (Jacaerys, Lucerys, Baela, and Rhaena) as well as Gerardys, the maester of Dragonstone.
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen
- Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Olivia Cooke as Queen Alicent Hightower
- Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon
- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Targaryen
- Graham McTavish as Ser Harrold Westerling
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole
- Matthew Needham as Lord Larys Strong
- Wil Johnson as Ser Vaemond Velaryon
- Leo Hart as Young Jacaerys Velaryon
- Harvey Sadler as Young Lucerys Velaryon
- Ty Tennant as Young Aegon Targaryen
- Leo Ashton as Young Aemond Targaryen
- Evie Allen as Young Helaena Targaryen
- Shani Smethurst as Young Baela Targaryen
- Eva Ossei-Gerning as Young Rhaena Targaryen
- John Macmillan as Ser Laenor Velaryon
- Phil Daniels as Maester Gerardys
- Alexis Raben as Talya
- Arty Froushan as Ser Qarl Correy
- Haqi Ali as Maester Kelvyn
- Bijan Daneshmand as High Priest
- Bill Bekele as High Tide Page
To be added
- "Driftmark" at HBO
- "Driftmark" at the Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon Wiki
- "Driftmark" at the Internet Movie Database
- "Driftmark" on Wikipedia
- ↑ HBO.com: House of the Dragon Season 1
- ↑ House of the Dragon, Season 1, "Driftmark".