Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is the easternmost castle along the Wall, located on a grey, windswept shore by the Bay of Seals. Near Eastwatch live some fisherfolk and to the west lies Greenguard. Some wildlings trade with the Night's Watch at Eastwatch; wildlings prefer it to Castle Black, because trading ships from "the fabled lands beyond the sea" visit.
The commander of Eastwatch is Cotter Pyke, while its maester is Harmune. The Night's Watch keeps several galleys at Eastwatch, including larger vessels capable of crossing the narrow sea and lean fighting vessels. The galleys patrol the Bay of Seals in part to catch smugglers who trade weapons to the wildlings. Ships stationed at Eastwatch include the Talon, the Blackbird, and the Storm Crow.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Queen Selyse Florent and her Queen's Men travel from Eastwatch to Castle Black. Lord Commander Jon Snow sends his friends Grenn and Pypar from Castle Black to Eastwatch. In order to save thousands of wildlings trapped at Hardhome, Cotter Pyke leads eleven ships from Eastwatch in a rescue mission. Bowen Marsh is tasked with collecting the treasures of wildlings crossing the Wall south and having the tolls sent to Eastwatch. Because their mammoths are too big to travel through the Wall at Castle Black, the giants are sent east to round the Wall at Eastwatch.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Map of Beyond the Wall
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Stoneborn of Skagos.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Wildlings.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Aerys I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon XI.