Freedmen are people who have been freed from slavery.
A Storm of Swords
Daenerys Targaryen frees the slaves of Astapor, with thousands of them following her north during her campaign in Slaver's Bay. Thousands more former slaves join her host after the battle near Yunkai. Ser Jorah Mormont organizes the fighting men into four companies. Freedmen aid in Daenerys's siege of Meereen, and half of the city's fighting slaves rise in rebellion against the Great Masters.
A Dance with Dragons
Half of Daenerys's freedmen are from Yunkai. The Sons of the Harpy attack unarmed freedmen Meereen, so Daenerys orders the creation of the Brazen Beasts, a new city watch composed of shavepates and freedmen. She also has Grey Worm turn companies of freedmen into soldiers, including the Stalwart Shields, the Free Brothers, and the Mother's Men. The bloody flux spreads among the freedmen at Meereen.
I told them they were free. I cannot tell them now they are not free to join me.—thoughts of Daenerys Targaryen
Jorah: The slaves are weak from the march.
Daenerys: Freedmen. They are slaves no longer.Jorah: Slave or free, they are hungry and they'll soon be sick.
—thoughts of Barristan Selmy
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 27, Daenerys III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 42, Daenerys IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 43, Daenerys VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.