|Alias||Stone Head  |
|Born||In 281 AC or 282 AC|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Halder is a builder of the Night's Watch with a nickname of Stoney. He is sixteen years old when he joins the Watch in 298 AC. Jon thinks him incredibly strong, but easy to anticipate. Halder had been an apprentice stonemason before coming to the Wall. 
Halder is tall, strong and muscular.
A Game of Thrones
He is in the same novice class as Jon Snow, where his ability to fight with a sword is dismissed with disdain by Jon. When Samwell Tarly arrived at the Wall, Ser Alliser Thorne sent Halder to be his first practice partner. Alliser egged Halder on to hurt Sam, but was stopped by Jon Snow's intervention. Halder was then sent by Ser Alliser to attack Jon this time, with the help of Rast and Albett, but was soundly defeated by Jon when Pypar and Grenn stepped up to aid Jon. He is named to the builders after Ser Alliser believed him ready to man the Wall. Halder helps carve the wolf's head for the new pommel of Longclaw. He is among the group of friends who stop Jon from abandoning the Night's Watch and forswearing himself.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Halder is one of the friends present in the new Common Hall who try to invite Lord Commander Jon Snow to sit with them, to no avail. Snow later decides to separate his friends and transfers Halder west to the Shadow Tower.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ See the Halder calculation.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.