House Vance of Atranta
|House Vance of Atranta|
|Coat of arms|| Quartered, a green dragon on a white field and a white tower on a black field|
(Quarterly, first and fourth, argent, a dragon vert, second and third, sable, a tower argent)
|Current Lord||Norbert Vance|
|Heir||Ser Ronald Vance|
|Overlord|| House Tully (AGOT)|
House Baelish (ADWD)
In the century after the downfall of House Justman, the Vances were among the petty kings who disputed the riverlands. The Vances of Atranta joined the Blackwoods and the Tullys in rebellion against King Humfrey I Teague. Both Lords Vance were slain in the ensuing war. Lord Robert Vance rebelled against the ensuing rule of House Durrandon, but he was eventually defeated.
A Storm of Swords
The Vances support Robb Stark, King of the Trident, during the War of the Five Kings. After Catelyn Stark scolds her brother, Lord Edmure Tully, for complaining about Roslin Frey's expected lack of beauty, she sees how he avoids her, preferring the company of, among others, the young Vances. Ser Ronald, Ser Ellery, Ser Hugo, and Kirth Vance are all companions of Edmure.
King Tommen I Baratheon signs the pardon of Lord Vance after the war. It is unknown if it is for Lord Norbert of Atranta or for Lord Karyl of Wayfarer's Rest, but afterwards both have been welcomed to the king's peace.
A Feast for Crows
Ser Hugo Vance survived the Red Wedding, and presumably traveled to King's Landing to swear his house's fealty to the Iron Throne. He joins Ser Jaime Lannister in his expedition to besiege Riverrun.
Both branches of House Vance are present at the siege of Riverrun, and their lords take part in the war councils. Lord Norbert offers to parley with the besieged Ser Brynden Tully, whom he squired with, but his offer is turned down.
House Vance of Atranta at the end of the third century
The known Vances of Atranta during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Norbert Vance, Lord of Atranta. A blind old man.
With unspecified familiar relationship to the main branch there are also:
- Ser Dafyn Vance. He married Maegelle Frey, daughter of Stevron Frey, and is father to three children.
- Armistead Vance, the mightiest of the Andal conquerors.
- Lord Robert Vance, a would-be river king during the rule of the Storm Kings. It is unknown which branch he was from.
Behind the Scenes
House Vance is a reference by George R. R. Martin to the author Jack Vance, who was one of Martin's favorite authors. The dragons in their sigil refer to Vance's The Dragon Masters and the towers to his The Last Castle. Atranta is a reference by Martin to a land in Vance's Bad Ronald.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Riverlands
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands: House Tully.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 38, Jaime VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 33, Jaime V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 30, Jaime IV.
- So Spake Martin: Vance, King, and Anime and Manga