King of the Giants
King of the Giants is a title used by some men of the Seven Kingdoms for leaders of giants. Free folk do not believe that giants have kings, however.
Maester Yandel writes that the giants of the Dawn Age had no kings or lords.
Tales of the north claim the Great Barrow at Barrowton contains the grave of the First King of the First Men or, because of the hill's size, the grave of a King of the Giants.
Songs claim that Durran the Dour slew Lun the Last, King of the Giants, at the Battle of Crookwater in the stormlands.
A Storm of Swords
When Jon Snow asks if Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg is a king, Tormund explains that giants have no kings. After Mag the Mighty and Donal Noye slay each other during the battle beneath the Wall, Jon continues to think of Mag as the king of the giants.
Giants have no kings, no more'n mammoths do, nor snow bears, nor the great whales o' the grey sea.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Dawn Age.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 32, Reek III.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Durrandon.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 64, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 76, Jon XI.