A lichyard is a type of graveyard in Westeros where bones and remains can be laid to rest. The lichyard at Winterfell is located near the First Keep; the servants of the old Kings of Winter are buried there beneath headstones spotted with lichen. The lichyard of Castle Black is by the eastern road below the Wall, near ancient tombs.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Theon Greyjoy thinks of Winterfell, damaged from its sack by Ramsay Bolton, as a "half-frozen lichyard of a castle". The body of Ser Aenys Frey's squire is found naked in the castle's lichyard. Borroq settles with his boar in the Castle Black's lichyard.
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31, Brienne VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 56, Theon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 37, The Prince of Winterfell.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 46, A Ghost in Winterfell.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.
- The Winds of Winter, Mercy