Lord of the Stone Hedge
|Lord of the Stone Hedge|
|Office||Ruler of Stone Hedge|
|Current Holder||Lord Jonos Bracken|
Harwyn Hoare, King of the Iron Islands, invaded the riverlands during the reign of King Arrec Durrandon. Lady Agnes Blackwood and her sons marched against Harwyn's ironborn, but they were attacked from behind by Lord Lothar Bracken, who had made an alliance with the ironborn believing Harwyn would make him King of the Trident. Lord Lothar helped Harwyn defeat Arrec's host at the Battle at Fairmarket, but the ironborn claimed the riverlands for themselves. Half a year later, Lothar led a rebellion against Harwyn, but Harwyn crushed the rebellion, sacked Stone Hedge, and starved Lothar in a crow cage.
Lord Humfrey Bracken declared for King Aegon II Targaryen at the start of the Dance of the Dragons. Together with his third wife, baseborn paramour, and younger children, he was taken captive by Prince Daemon Targaryen, when Rhaenyra Targaryen's forces took Stone Hedge. After the Battle of the Burning Mill, Humfrey's bastard, Ser Raylon Rivers, yielded to prevent his father's family from coming to harm. Near the end of the war, Lord Humfrey joined the black host led by his liege, Lord Elmo Tully.
Lord Bracken was named Hand of the King for King Aegon IV Targaryen in 172 AC. His daughter Barba became Aegon's mistress, and later that year gave birth to Aegon's bastard son, Aegor Rivers. When Queen Naerys Targaryen lingered near death following her own childbirth a fortnight later, Barba's father spoke openly of marrying his daughter to Aegon IV, until she was sent from court following the queen's recovery. Lord Bracken later groomed his younger daughter Bethany with Barba's help to displace Melissa Blackwood as Aegon's mistress, in which he succeeded in 177 AC. Lord Bracken and Bethany were executed in 178 AC, after Bethany was caught by Aegon in bed with Ser Terrence Toyne, a knight of the Kingsguard.
During the First Blackfyre Rebellion, Lord Bracken sailed across the narrow sea to hire Myrish crossbowmen for Daemon I Blackfyre. However, he was delayed by storms and did not return in time for the Battle of the Redgrass Field. At the start of the reign of King Aerys I Targaryen, Lord Bracken was dying. Since his eldest son had died during the Great Spring Sickness, his second son, Ser Otho Bracken, was set to inherit Stone Hedge.
Lords Bracken and Blackwood came to Riverrun when Lysa Tully was young to put their feud before the judgment of Hoster Tully, Lord Paramount of the Trident. Hoster attempted to marry Ser Brynden Tully to Lord Bracken's daughter.
A Game of Thrones
One of Lord Jonos Bracken's daughters is raped by Ser Gregor Clegane during the burning of Stone Hedge. Jonos joins the other river lords at Riverrun in declaring Robb Stark to be King in the North.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Lord Jonos is cold toward Catelyn Stark because she released Robb's captive, Ser Jaime Lannister. Jonos is present at the funeral of his liege lord, Hoster Tully. The Brackens submit to the Iron Throne after the Red Wedding, and King Tommen I Baratheon pardons Jonos for his part in the War of the Five Kings.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Ser Jaime Lannister arrives to end the siege of Raventree, finding Jonos abed with a common woman named Hildy. Jonos hands Jaime a map with the lands he wants for subduing Lord Tytos Blackwood, along with compensation for the damage Gregor and the Mountain's men did to his land and family. During his surrender to Jaime, Tytos agrees to surrender a smaller portion of Blackwood land than requested by Lord Bracken. Jaime upsets Jonos by ordering him to send one of his own daughters to attend Queen Regent Cersei Lannister at court in King's Landing.
Known Lords of Stone Hedge
- Lord Bracken during the rule of King Humfrey I Teague.
- Lord Lothar Bracken
- Lord Humfrey Bracken
- Lord Bracken, who served as the Hand to King Aegon IV Targaryen.
- Lord Bracken, head of the House during the reign of kings Daeron II and Aerys I Targaryen.
- Lord Bracken, ruling during the reign of King Aerys II Targaryen.
- Lord Jonos Bracken, the current Lord of Stone Hedge.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 72, Jaime IX.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Short, Sad Reign of Aegon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 48, Jaime I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn XI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 35, Catelyn IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons — The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- The Hedge Knight.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.