Cersei, Melara, and Maggy. Artwork by Cris Urdiales, used with permission.
|Born||In 264 AC or 265 AC|
|Died||In 276 AC|
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)|
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Appearance and Character
Melara was a close friend to Cersei Lannister during their youths. From the serving girls at Casterly Rock, Melara heard that Maggy the Frog could curse a man, make him fall in love, summon demons, and foretell the future. In 276 AC, Melara, Cersei Lannister and Jeyne Farman slipped from their beds during the tournament in honor of Viserys's birth and went to see Maggy the Frog, to have their fortunes told. Jeyne fled when Maggy opened her eyes to greet the visitors, but Melara and Cersei stayed and insisted on hearing their futures. Melara was present when Maggy made the prophecy of the valonqar (High Valyrian for "little brother"), to Cersei Lannister. Melara asked if she would one day marry Jaime Lannister, but Maggy told her that she would die that night, and her death was close. Afterwards, Melara insisted to Cersei that, as long as they remained silent about what they had learned, the prophecies would not come true. According to Cersei, Melara fell down a well and drowned not long after hearing the prophecy. She recalls that Melara "was not so silent in the well" and that she had "screamed and shouted".
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
- See the Melara Hetherspoon calculation.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 36, Cersei VIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 28, Cersei VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 12, Cersei III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 39, Cersei IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 65, Cersei II.