Mountains of the Moon
The Mountains of the Moon are a series of mountains ruled by House Arryn of the Vale. The mountains border the riverlands to the west, the Bite to the north, and the Bay of Crabs to the south, and they surround the Vale proper.
The mountains have snow-capped grey-green peaks. Rock slides are common and its foothills are rocky, high and wild. The high road from the inn at the crossroads passes through the mountains, which are inhabited by mountain clans who reject the authority of the Arryns. The Bloody Gate guards the high road from the Mountains of the Moon to the Vale of Arryn.
During the Andal invasion of the Vale, some of the defeated First Men fled into the Mountains of the Moon, becoming the mountain clans. Wild tribes have sometimes raided the riverlands from the mountains. Etchings of stars and axes by the victorious Andals can also be found in some parts of the mountains.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
|“||Shadowcats prowled those passes, rock slides were common, and the mountain clans were lawless brigands, descending from the heights to rob and kill and melting away like snow whenever the knights rode out from the Vale in search of them. Even Jon Arryn, as great a lord as any the Eyrie had ever known, had always traveled in strength when he crossed the mountains.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 31, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The World of Ice and Fire, The Vale.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 28, Catelyn V.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Riverlands.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Free Cities: Norvos.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 34, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya XIII.