Oswell Whent, by TheMico ©.
|Allegiance|| House Whent|
|Died||In 283 AC, at the tower of joy|
|Book(s)|| The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
A Game of Thrones (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
|Played by||Eddie Eyre|
|TV series||Season 6|
Ser Oswell Whent was a knight of House Whent and a member of King Aerys II Targaryen's Kingsguard. An amalgamation of Oswell and Ser Gerold Hightower is portrayed by Eddie Eyre during a flashback in Season 6 of the television adaptation Game of Thrones.
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Oswell Whent
Lord Walter Whent of Harrenhal, Oswell's older brother, announced the tourney at Harrenhal shortly after a visit from Oswell. It was proposed by Varys and believed by some that Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was secretly sponsoring the tourney in order to gather lords together to deal with the matter of his mad father, King Aerys II Targaryen, and used Oswell as a go-between to Lord Whent. Oswell was present at the tourney when Ser Jaime Lannister became a member of the Kingsguard.
According to a semi-canon source, Oswell, along with his other sworn brother Ser Arthur Dayne, aided Rhaegar in the kidnapping of Lyanna Stark near Harrenhal as the year of the false spring was ending. Robert's Rebellion began shortly after.
At the end of the rebellion, Eddard Stark encountered Ser Oswell and two other knights of the Kingsguard, Arthur and Ser Gerold Hightower, at the tower of joy in Dorne. Eddard told them that King's Landing had already fallen and that King Aerys II Targaryen was dead. In the ensuing conflict, all three Kingsguard were killed. Eddard had been with six northern companions, but he and Howland Reed were the only survivors. Stones from the tower were used to build Oswell's cairn upon a nearby ridge.
A Game of Thrones
Eddard Stark, fevered in the black cells of the Red Keep, dreams of the combat at the tower of joy, where he and his companions encountered and battled Oswell and two other knights of the Kingsguard, Ser Gerold Hightower and Ser Arthur Dayne.
A Storm of Swords
With his head on a weirwood stump, Jaime Lannister dreams he is below Casterly Rock, and is confronted with the shades of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, and his fellow Kingsguard, Oswell, Arthur, Gerold, Jon Darry, and Lewyn Martell. They admonish Jaime for his murder of King Aerys II Targaryen, and for his failure to protect Rhaegar's wife Elia Martell, and children Rhaenys and Aegon.
A Dance with Dragons
Quotes by Oswell
– Eddard Stark, Gerold Hightower, and Oswell in Eddard's dream
Quotes about Oswell
– Jaime Lannister to Loras Tyrell, Osmund Kettleblack, Balon Swann, Meryn Trant, and Boros Blount
I learned from the White Bull and Barristan the Bold. I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right. I learned from Prince Lewyn of Dorne and Ser Oswell Whent and Ser Jonothor Darry, good men every one.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Oswell Whent.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 39, Eddard X.
- ↑ Tweet by @EddieEyre: "'Gerold Hightower', but the character was an amalgamation of both really", 9 May 2016
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 67, The Kingbreaker.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: The Year of the False Spring.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 31, Jaime IV.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Rhaegar Targaryen.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 44, Jaime VI.