Pypar by Amok
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (appears)
A Dance with Dragons (appears)
|Played by||Jozef Altin|
|TV series||Season 1 | Season 3 | Season 4|
Pypar, commonly known as Pyp, is a member of the Night's Watch. He is in the same recruit class as Jon Snow, and is called Monkey by Ser Alliser Thorne. In the television adaptation Game of Thrones he is played by Jozef Altin.
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Pypar
Pypar is small and has large ears which he can wiggle. He claims to be able to identify a person's origin by their accent. Pyp can imitate a hundred different voices and loves to act. He enjoys teasing his friend, Grenn. Samwell Tarly thinks Pyp has stupid japes.
A Game of Thrones
Pypar joins the Night's Watch at the same time as Jon Snow. During sword practice, Jon thinks Pyp uses his sword like a dagger. He befriends Jon and helps defend Samwell Tarly when he arrives at the Wall.
Pyp is named to the rangers when Ser Alliser Thorne believes him ready to man the Wall, and he informs Jon that King Robert I Baratheon has died. Pyp is among the group of friends who stop Jon from abandoning the Night's Watch and forswearing himself.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Pyp is one of the many fighters atop the Wall when Mance Rayder's army assaults the Watch in the battle beneath the Wall. He retches when he sees the bodies of Donal Noye and Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg. Pyp refers to arrows shot by wildlings as "breakfast arrows", and he names straw scarecrows after members of the Night's Watch. Jon tasks Pyp with commanding the Wall when he descends to Castle Black at one point during the siege.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Quotes by Pypar
|“||Samwell: I ... if you want, you can call me Sam. My mother calls me Sam.
Pypar: You can call him Lord Snow. You don't want to know what his mother calls him.
|“||The turtle was stuffed full of rabbits! Look at them hop away!||”|
Quotes about Pypar
|“||The mummer's boy with the big ears was a born liar with a hundred different voices, and he did not tell his tales so much as live them, playing all the parts as needed, a king one moment and a swineherd the next.||”|
|“||They will call you men of Night's Watch now, but you are bigger fools than the Mummer's Monkey here if you believe that. You are boys still, green and stinking of summer, and when the winter comes you will die like flies.||”|
|“||Making mock of another man's prayer is fool's work, Pyp. And dangerous.||”|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 52, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 6, Jon I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 64, Jon VIII.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 69, Jon IX.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.