|House Reed of Greywater Watch|
|Coat of arms|| A black lizard-lion on grey-green|
(Vert-cendrée, a lizard-lion sable)
|Current Lord||Howland Reed|
|Overlord|| House Stark (AGOT)|
House Bolton (ADWD)
According to a semi-canon source, the Reeds descend from the First Men. The Reeds first swore their oaths of fealty to House Stark when the Starks were Kings in the North, thousands of years ago.
Howland Reed was one of the six companions of Eddard Stark that went with him to the Tower of Joy, and the only one that survived the fight against the three members of Aerys II Targaryen's Kingsguard. Eddard said that he would not have survived the battle if it were not for Howland. He is said to have remained in the Neck since the end of Robert's Rebellion.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Lord Howland Reed sends his children Meera and Jojen to Winterfell to represent the family in the harvest feast and renew the oath to the Starks. Meera and Jojen escape the sacked Winterfell with Bran and Rickon Stark.
A Storm of Swords
Robb, now the King in the North, commands Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover to take men by longship and sail through the marshes of the Neck to seek out Howland Reed. Robb plans to march on Moat Cailin with 12,000 men once he joins with Lord Roose Bolton. The crannogmen will guide a small force under Robb's command across the swamps in order to reach Moat Cailin from the north. However, Robb is killed in the Red Wedding at the Twins before his plan can be put into action.
A Dance with Dragons
Though House Reed has not openly aligned itself with either Roose, the new Warden of the North, or King Stannis Baratheon in the northern conflicts after the War of the Five Kings, Roose does not seem to trust the crannogmen. He travels in a wagon and with a decoy while in the Neck as a precaution.
House Reed at the end of the third century
The known Reeds during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Howland Reed, Lord of Greywater Watch.
- Meera and Jojen Reed to Bran Stark
Meera and Jojen: To Winterfell we pledge the faith of Greywater. Hearth and heart and harvest we yield up to you, my lord. Our swords and spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to our weak, help to our helpless, and justice to all, and we shall never fail you.
Jojen: I swear it by earth and water.Meera and Jojen: We swear it by ice and fire.
Meera: I swear it by bronze and iron.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: the North
- ↑ So Spake Martin: Event Horizon Chat, March 18, 1999
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 21, Bran III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 39, Eddard X.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Howland Reed.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 69, Bran VII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 50, Theon IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 13, Bran II.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 20, Reek II.