The Saan family is a Lysene line of Valyrian descent that has produced a number of famous pirates over the centuries. Saans have been distinguished pirate-lords for at least three hundred years, dating back to the reign of King Aegon the Conqueror.
The Saan family at the end of the third century
- Salladhor Saan, self styled Prince of the Narrow Sea, pirate, sellsail, smuggler and trader, declared the Lord of Blackwater Bay by Lord Alester Florent. Abandoned his contract to fight for Stannis Baratheon and now in the Stepstones engaging in piracy.
- Sargoso Saan, a pirate-lord active in the Stepstones late in the reign of King Aegon I Targaryen.
- Saathos Saan, a Lysene captain who led a fleet to the Basilisk Isles to clear out its pirates, only to turn pirate himself. He became a great pirate-lord, uniting and reigning them as King of the Basilisk Isles for thirty years. He lived at some point after the Basilisk Isles were resettled, which occurred during the reign of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen.
- Samarro Saan, the Last Valyrian, a member of the Band of Nine, during the reign of King Jaehaerys II Targaryen.
References and Notes
- The World of Ice & Fire.
- Westeros Forum, "The Sons of the Dragon", read at LonCon 2014
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Basilisk Isles.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Jaehaerys II.