Sea battle off Fair Isle
|Sea battle off Fair Isle|
|Place||off Fair Isle|
|Result||Decisive royal victory|
Victarion and Euron Greyjoy burned the Lannister fleet at anchor at Lannisport to begin Greyjoy's Rebellion. In response, King Robert I Baratheon brought the royal fleet commanded by Lord Stannis Baratheon, supported by warships from the Arbor, Oldtown, and the Reach, to deal with the longship threat of the Iron Islands. Stannis had overall command against the Iron Fleet.
The Iron Fleet was in the Straits of Fair Isle, with the island of Fair Isle to their west and the mainland of the westerlands to their east. Stannis's ships trapped them from the north and the south, smashing Victarion's fleet off Fair Isle.
With the threat of the Iron Fleet diminished, King Robert I was able to land in the Iron Islands and put down Greyjoy's Rebellion. Aeron Greyjoy, the younger brother of Victarion and Euron, was held prisoner at Casterly Rock.
|“||Victarion: Would you lesson me in warfare? I was fighting battles when you were sucking mother's milk.
Asha: And losing battles too.
|“||The memory of Fair Isle still rankled in the iron captain's memory.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Old way and the New.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 1, The Prophet.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 63, Victarion I.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11, The Kraken's Daughter.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 18, The Iron Captain.