The Skahazadhan is a major river of Essos. It begins in the southeastern Dothraki sea and flows southwest through Meereen into Slaver's Bay. South of the river are Lhazar and the red waste. Cities on its tributaries include Vaes Mejhah, Krazaaj Has, and Kosrak. A tributary also flows through the Khyzai Pass near Meereen.
The Skahazadhan is a slow river with brown water. The Meereenese use it for waste and instead drink from deep wells. Pike are found in the river. Warden of the River is a title granted to officials monitoring the Skahazadhan.
A Dance with Dragons
During the second siege of Meereen, galleys from Qarth and New Ghis and a carrack from Tolos seal off the Skahazadhan, and two iron legions are to land north of the river to block Meereenese access to the Dothraki sea. The Wise Masters of Yunkai set up slave pens and an auction block on the southern shore of the river, where it meets Slaver's Bay.
After Daenerys Targaryen disappears from Daznak's Pit, her bloodriders are sent in search of her north of the Skahazadhan. King Hizdahr zo Loraq styles himself Master of the Skahazadhan. Skahaz mo Kandaq declines the ancient office of Warden of the River.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, The Dothraki Sea.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 36, Daenerys VI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 50, Daenerys VIII.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight.