The Thenns consider themselves the last of the First Men. They speak the Old Tongue and most have only a few words of the Common Tongue. They are led by the Magnar of Thenn, who is considered more a god than a man by his people. Because they have laws and lords in their valley, some consider the Thenns more sophisticated than other free folk and closer to the people south of the Wall. They have more dealings with giants than other men.
The Thenns are savage fighters, but because of their belief in the Magnar as their god they are more obedient and disciplined than other free folk. They are often better equipped than most free folk, with bronze helms, axes of bronze and a few of chipped stone, short stabbing spears with leaf-shaped heads, bronze swords, leather shirts sewn with bronze discs and scales, and plain unadorned shields of black boiled leather with bronze rims and bosses. They use bronze-banded warhorns to warn each other about the Night's Watch.
A Storm of Swords
Jon Snow accompanies one hundred Thenns led by Styr who climb the Wall and descend at Greyguard, although Jon escapes from them at Queenscrown in the Gift. The raiders attack Castle Black from the south but are defeated by the Night's Watch, with Styr dying in the fighting. Stannis Baratheon captures the new Magnar of Thenn when Mance's army is defeated in the battle beneath the Wall.
A Dance with Dragons
Soon after Mance is defeated at the Wall and his host broken, a dour warrior in fur and amber urges the survivors to come with him and take refuge in the valley of the Thenns. Though the Thenns had fled their valley to find safety south of the Wall, hundreds of free folk still follow the unnamed warrior northward.
- thoughts of Jon Snow
- Jon Snow to Alys Karstark
The Thenns have lords and laws ... They mine tin and copper for bronze, forge their own arms and armor instead of stealing it. A proud folk, and brave.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 26, Jon III.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 49, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon X.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 30, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 76, Jon XI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 21, Jon V.