Gerold Hightower, art by Gutter1333 ©.
|Alias||The White Bull|
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
|Allegiance|| House Hightower|
|Died||In 283 AC, at the tower of joy|
|Book(s)|| The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
A Game of Thrones (mentioned)
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
The Winds of Winter (mentioned)
|Played by||Eddie Eyre|
|TV series||Season 6|
Ser Gerold Hightower, known as the White Bull, was a knight of House Hightower and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard during the reigns of kings, Jaehaerys II Targaryen and Aerys II Targaryen. He was the uncle of Lord Leyton Hightower of Oldtown. An amalgamation of Gerold and Ser Oswell Whent is portrayed by Eddie Eyre during a flashback in Season 6 in the television adaptation Game of Thrones.
- See also: Images of Gerold Hightower
In the Kingsguard
It is currently unknown when Gerold joined the order of the Kingsguard. He became Lord Commander in 259 AC, following the death of his predecessor, Ser Duncan the Tall. During the War of the Ninepenny Kings, Gerold took command of the royal forces after the death of the Hand of the King, Lord Ormund Baratheon. After the war, he accepted Ser Barristan Selmy into the order.
Around 280 AC/281 AC, Gerold was shot through the hand by Ulmer, an outlaw of the Kingswood Brotherhood, who went on to steal a kiss and some jewels from Princess Elia Martell of Dorne. In 281 AC, at the tourney at Harrenhal, Gerold fastened the white cloak of the Kingsguard about the shoulders of the newest member, Ser Jaime Lannister. That evening, when King Aerys II Targaryen ordered Jaime to return to King's Landing to guard Queen Rhaella and Prince Viserys, Gerold offered to go in Jaime's stead, so Jaime could remain at Harrenhal and take part in the tourney, but Aerys refused.
- Main article: Robert's Rebellion
Gerold was present when King Aerys II Targaryen burned Lord Rickard Stark alive in the Red Keep's throne room, and while Brandon Stark strangled himself to death. After the two Starks died, Gerold took Ser Jaime Lannister aside and reminded him they were sworn to defend the king, not to judge him.
During the ensuing rebellion, after the battle of the Bells, Gerold was sent to find Prince Rhaegar. While Rhaegar eventually returned to King's Landing, Gerold did not. He was next seen at the tower of joy in the Red Mountains of Dorne, with two of his sworn brothers, Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Oswell Whent, both of whom had been with Rhaegar when he disappeared originally. Here, they were guarding Lyanna Stark.
The three Kingsguard were eventually found at the tower by Lyanna's brother, Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, and six of Eddard's companions. After a short conversation with Eddard, during which the three knights refused several opportunities to leave unharmed, combat ensued in which Gerold died. Stones from the tower were used to build his cairn upon a nearby ridge.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
Resting on a weirwood stump, Ser Jaime Lannister dreams of he and Brienne of Tarth being visited by the shades of Gerold, Oswell, Arthur, Ser Jon Darry, Prince Lewyn Martell, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen in the depths of Casterly Rock.
Quotes by Gerold
– Gerold to Eddard Stark in Eddard's dream
– Gerold to Jaime Lannister, after Aerys II Targaryen murdered Brandon and Rickard Stark
You swore a vow to guard the king, not to judge him.
Quotes about Gerold
– Jaime Lannister to Catelyn Stark
That was the White Bull, loyal to the end and a better man than me, all agree.
– Jaime Lannister to Loras Tyrell, Osmund Kettleblack, Balon Swann, Meryn Trant, and Boros Blount
I learned from the White Bull and Barristan the Bold. I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right. I learned from Prince Lewyn of Dorne and Ser Oswell Whent and Ser Jonothor Darry, good men every one.
Gerold was a member of House Hightower. He had at least one brother, who went on to continue the Hightower line. Gerold was the uncle of Lord Leyton Hightower, and thereby the great-uncle of Leyton's nine children.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 39, Eddard X.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- ↑ Tweet by @EddieEyre: "'Gerold Hightower', but the character was an amalgamation of both really", 9 May 2016
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 21, Jaime III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 58, Eddard XV.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 44, Jaime VI.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: The Year of the False Spring.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 55, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Rhaegar Targaryen.