Hand of the King|
Lord of Brightwater Keep
|Died||In 300 AC, at Dragonstone|
A Clash of Kings (Appears)|
A Storm of Swords (Appears)
A Feast for Crows (Mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (Mentioned)
Alester Florent is the Lord of Brightwater Keep and is the head of the House Florent. He is married to Melara Crane, is the brother of Ser Axell Florent, and is the uncle of Stannis Baratheon's wife, Selyse Florent. He is also Samwell Tarly's grandfather.
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Alester Florent
A Clash of Kings
After following House Tyrell in supporting Renly Baratheon, Alester rallies his house and is the first of those who swore to Renly to go over to Stannis Baratheon's cause. He is the first of the new lords to discard the Faith of the Seven and take up the worship of R'hllor. After joining with Stannis, he briefly becomes Stannis's Hand of the King.
A Storm of Swords
After Stannis's defeat at the Battle of the Blackwater, it is left to Queen Selyse and Lord Alester to rule in Stannis's name while the king broods. Alester is given the king's seal by Selyse, to speak in Stannis's name. For their support of Stannis, the Florents are stripped of Brightwater Keep by the Iron Throne.
Alester is imprisoned in Dragonstone after he attempts to make peace with House Lannister in hopes of having Brightwater returned to him. His brother, Ser Axell Florent, denounces Alester as having betrayed Stannis.
A Feast for Crows
Alester is reported to have been burned as a traitor.
A Dance with Dragons
References and Notes
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 25, Davos III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 42, Davos II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 36, Tyrion VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 10, Davos II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 36, Davos IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.