The bloody flux, also known as the "Pale Mare" in Meereen, is a disease that spreads easily and quickly. Its symptoms are fever, intestinal hemorrhages, and diarrhea.
It has a very high mortality rate, having been described as killing three of each four men in armies.
See also Medicine.
- A Clash of Kings
- A Storm of Swords
- A Dance with Dragons
The Bloody Flux spreads through Astapor and comes from there with the refugees that seek protection in Meereen. The disease ravages both Meereen and its siegers from Yunkai and New Ghis. The first known case in Meereen was brought over by a dying Astapori rider atop a pale mare, which gave the plague its nickname.
References and Notes
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 30, Daenerys V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 36, Daenerys VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 57, Tyrion XI.