House Yronwood of Yronwood is the most powerful houses in Dorne after the Martells.
The Yronwood were important kings on Dorne before arrival of the Rhoynar, their Lord still holding the title "The Bloodroyal". They fought the Martells during Nymeria's war, and since then the two houses have rivalled for the control of Dorne. They joined Bittersteel against the Targaryens and Martells on three of the Blackfyre Rebellions, even though one of the rebels goals was to remove the Dornish influence at court.
Their keep is the last fortress defending the Boneway, one of the only two land accesses to Dorne, and hold the title of Wardens of the Stone Way. This is reflected in their (noncanon) motto: «We Guard the Way»
Their blazon, also noncanon, is a black portcullis grill over sand.
The Yronwood House at the end of the third century
The known Yronwoods during the timespan of the events described on A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Anders Yronwood: Lord of Yronwood. Warden of the Stone Way. The Bloodroyal.
- Cletus Yronwood: His son. Known for a lazy eye.
References in the books
A Song of Ice and Fire
- When Ser Oberyn Martell was no older than sixteen, he was found abed with old Lord Yronwood paramount and they fought a duel.
Although it was only to first blood, Lord Yronwoods wounds festered and he died shortly afterwards, orginating rumours that the Red Viper's blade had been posioned. Probably becouse of this Lord Doran Martell refeered to "repay a blood debt" when he felt obligued to sent his secondborn child Quentyn Martell to foster to a certain Lord Ormond at Yronwood, although he was sent more than 10 years after the incident. Probably, Lord Ormond was Anders' father and Old Lord Yronwood's son.
- Following Doran's instructions, Anders Yronwood mustered and maintained an army on the Boneway during the War of the Five Kings.
- Quentyn Martell served at Yronwood (first with Lord Ormond and then with Lord Anders) as page and squire. He chose to be knighted by Lord Anders himself instead of his uncle Oberyn Martell.
- Ser Cletus Yronwood was seen with Quentyn Martell on the Planky Town, looking for a ship.
- Since his son and his maester were traveling with Quentyn to the east, with all probability Lord Anders Yronwood had been entrusted by Doran Martell with the critical secret of his support for the Targaryen restoration.