A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
King of Mountain and Vale
King of Mountain and Vale was the title held by the monarchs of the Vale of Arryn from House Arryn until Aegon's Conquest. The title referred to the Vale proper and the surrounding Mountains of the Moon.
The first king to unite most of the Vale was the last Bronze King, Robar II Royce, during the Andal invasion of Westeros. With Andals having conquered three-quarters of the Vale, Robar united the houses and clans of the First Men in resistance and became High King of the Vale, the Fingers, and the Mountains of the Moon. However, Robar and the First Men were defeated by Ser Artys Arryn, a young Andal called the Falcon Knight, in the Battle of Seven Stars. The Vale was renamed the Vale of Arryn in Artys's honor. He became the first King of Mountain and Vale, and his Falcon Crown was passed down from Arryn to Arryn.
The Arryn kings fostered trade, and Gulltown grew into one of the largest cities in Westeros. King Roland I Arryn began construction of the Eyrie. King Hugh Arryn took Pebble, while King Hugo Arryn conquered the Paps. King Alester II Arryn married Arwen Upcliff, adding the Witch Isle to the Arryn kingdom. In the War Across the Water after the Rape of the Three Sisters, the Arryns warred with the Kings of Winter for a thousand years.
Some Arryns warred with the riverlands; King Roland II Arryn was ultimately beheaded by King Tristifer IV Mudd. The Bloody Gate protected the Vale from three failed invasions launched from the riverlands by Halleck Hoare, King of the Isles and the Rivers.
The last King of Mountain and Vale was Ronnel Arryn, a boy-king whose mother, Sharra, submitted to Visenya Targaryen during Aegon's Conquest. The Arryns have since served the Iron Throne as Protectors of the Vale and Wardens of the East.
Known Kings of Mountain and Vale
The exact line of succession is as yet unknown.
- King Artys I Arryn, called the Falcon Knight and also conflated with the Winged Knight, the first King of Mountain and Vale
- King Roland I Arryn
- King Osric V Arryn
- King Roland II Arryn
- King Robin Arryn
- King Hugh Arryn, called the Fat
- King Hugo Arryn, called the Hopeful
- King Alester II Arryn
- King Mathos II Arryn
- King Osgood Arryn, called the Old Falcon
- King Oswin Arryn, called the Talon
- King Oswell I Arryn
- King Ronnel Arryn, called the King Who Flew, the last lawful King of Mountain and Vale
- King Jonos Arryn, who rose in rebellion against King Aenys Targaryen and declared himself King of Mountain and Vale
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 10, Sansa I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: House Arryn.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: The Eyrie.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Eyrie.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Black Blood.