Knight of Cornfield
The head of House Swyft during the rule of Lord Tytos Lannister as Lord of Casterly Rock, Ser Harys Swyft, borrowed large sums of money from House Lannister. Upon Ser Tywin Lannister's return from the War of the Ninepenny Kings, he was determined to return his House's status and began by demanding repayment of gold lent by his father, Tytos. Those who could not repay immediately had to send a hostage to Casterly Rock until their debt was settled. Unable to pay immediately, Harys surrendered his daughter, Dorna, into the custody of Ser Kevan Lannister until the debt was settled.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
During the Battle of the Blackwater, Harys is trapped beneath his horse after it falls on him. He is rescued by one of his men-at-arms, Willit, who defends him against all attackers, taking grievous wounds in the process.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Harys continues to serve as lord treasurer, although his vaults are empty. In order to placate the Iron Bank of Braavos, he writes to the bankers of Myr in hopes of a loan and is advised by Kevan to also write to the magisters of Pentos. Kevan refuses to follow Harys's suggestion of raising taxes as the realm is too full of rebellion and half its lords cannot tell taxation from tyranny. Kevan suggests to Harys that he travel to Braavos and treat with the Iron Bank in person.
Known Knight of Cornfield
- At the start of the series, House Swyft is a knightly house holding the title of "Knight of Cornfield". As there is a "Lord Swyft" during the Dance of the Dragons, it is possible the Swyfts were once a lordly house who held the title of "Lord of Cornfield". If so, the house lost its lordly status sometimes in between the Dance of the Dragons and the War of the Ninepenny Kings (130 AC - 260 AC).
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 39, Cersei IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 43, Cersei X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 54, Cersei I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Epilogue.