A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
Lord of Harrenhal
Lord of Harrenhal or Lady of Harrenhal is the title held by the noble seated at the castle of Harrenhal since Aegon's Conquest. Throughout the castle's history, many noble families have held the castle, with most, if not all of them, going extinct, leading to the belief that the castle is cursed.
The castle of Harrenhal was constructed on the orders of King Harren Hoare, the last King of the Isles and the Rivers, who ruled over the Iron Islands and the riverlands. It took almost forty years to build the castle. The day of its completion, Aegon Targaryen landed on the shores of Westeros, beginning his Conquest.
Aegon eventually arrived at Harrenhal, where he offered King Harren a chance to surrender. The king refused, so at evenfall, Aegon and his dragon, Balerion, descended on the castle, burning everything that was flammable, and even melting the stone with which the castle had been build. Harren and his sons died at the tower which afterwards became known as Kingspyre Tower. It is said by some that the ghosts of Harren and his sons still haunt the castle.
Quenton Qoherys, the previous master-at-arms at Dragonstone, was made Lord of Harrenhal by King Aegon I Targaryen following the death of Harren. House Qoherys only ruled Harrenhal for a short time. Following the death of the second and last Qoherys lord of Harrenhal, Gargon Qoherys, Harrenhal would earn a dark reputation. The castle is now believed to be a dark place, and cursed as well, and every house that has held the castle since has met serious misfortune.
Houses who have held Harrenhal
- 1 AC - 37 AC: House Qoherys
- 37 AC - 44 AC: House Harroway
- 44 AC - Unknown: House Towers
- Unknown - 131 AC: House Strong
- 151 AC - Unknown (during the reign of Maekar I Targaryen): House Lothston
- Unknown (during the reign of Maekar I Targaryen) - 298 AC: House Whent
- 299 AC: House Slynt
- 299 AC - Present: House Baelish
Lords of Harrenhal
A chronological list of the known Lords and Ladies of Harrenhal:
- Quenton Qoherys, master-at-arms of Dragonstone, made Lord of Harrenhal by King Aegon I Targaryen.
- Gargon Qoherys, dubbed "Gargon the Guest", grandson and successor of Lord Quenton. Gelded and murdered by Harren the Red.
- Lucas Harroway, named Lord of Harrenhal by King Aenys I Targaryen. Later served as Hand of the King to King Maegor I Targaryen. Executed alongside his daughter, Queen Alys, under King Maegor's orders.
- Ser Walton Towers, a knight sworn to King Maegor. Made Lord of Harrenhal after being the victor in a melee ordered by the king. Perished to wounds obtained in the fight.
- Lyonel Strong, made Lord of Harrenhal during the reign of Jaehaerys I Targaryen. Master of laws and later Hand of the King to Jaehaerys's successor, King Viserys I Targaryen. Died in a fire along his eldest son and heir, Ser Harwin Strong, in 120 AC.
- Larys Strong, dubbed "Larys Clubfoot", master of whisperers to King Viserys I and later King Aegon II. Inherited Harrenhal after the deaths of his father and elder brother, of which he was suspected. Chose death over the Wall after being arrested by Lord Cregan Stark in 131 AC under charges of treason against Aegon II.
- Lucas Lothston, master-at-arms of the Red Keep during the reign of King Aegon III Targaryen. Given the seat of Harrenhal as a gift in 151 AC by King Aegon III at the behest of Prince Viserys Targaryen.
- Lucas Lothston, known as "the Pander".
- Danelle Lothston, also known as "Mad Danelle", who turned to the black arts and caused the downfall of her line during the reign of Maekar I Targaryen.
- Lord Whent, the first member of House Whent to hold the castle. Grandfather of Lady Shella Whent.
- Lord Whent, father of Lady Shella Whent.
- Lord Walter Whent, also known as "Old Lord Whent".
- Lady Shella Whent, Walter's wife and kin, later known as "Old Lady Whent". Yielded and abandoned Harrenhal to Lord Tywin Lannister and perished later in, so far, unknown circumstances.
- Janos Slynt, commander of the City Watch of King's Landing. Made Lord of Harrenhal by King Joffrey I Baratheon for his role in the betrayal and arrest of Lord Eddard Stark. Stripped of Harrenhal and sent to the Wall by Tyrion Lannister shortly thereafter, and later executed for insubordination by Lord Commander Jon Snow.
- Vargo Hoat, known as "the goat", leader of the Brave Companions sellsword company. Declared Lord of Harrenhal by Lord Roose Bolton. Went mad with fever after a bite wound caused by Brienne of Tarth infected. Imprisoned by Ser Gregor Clegane and mutilated to be fed to the prisoners of the castle, Hoat himself included.
- Petyr Baelish, master of coin to King Joffrey I, made Lord of Harrenhal and Lord Paramount of the Trident by King Joffrey for his role in securing a marriage alliance between House Lannister and House Tyrell which played a decisive role in the Battle of the Blackwater. Has yet to take possession of the castle.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands: House Tully.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 69, Tyrion IX.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 8, Tyrion II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 17, Tyrion IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- The Rogue Prince.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 4, Brienne I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Fall of the Dragons: The Year of the False Spring.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 44, Jaime VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 62, Jaime VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 20, Brienne IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 65, Arya XII.