House Stark is one of the Great Houses of Westeros. Descendent from the First Men, House Stark was founded by Brandon the Builder during the Age of Heroes. They ruled as Kings of Winter from their castle, Winterfell, for eight thousand years. Their sigil is a grey direwolf on a white background and their words are "Winter is coming".
The Kings of Winter defeated rival kings in the North, including the Red Kings of the Dreadfort, during their long reign. During the Andal invasion, King Theon Stark defeated the Andal Argos Sevenstar, after which he sailed to Andalos to extract revenge. The Kings of Winter have found themselves in many conflicts with the ironborn, as well as in a war against House Arryn of the Vale over the Three Sisters, which lasted a thousand years. When King Brandon "the Shipwright" Stark attempted to sail across the Sunset Sea, he was lost at sea. His son, Brandon "the Burner", burned the northern fleet in his grief, leaving the north without a fleet for centuries to come.
During Aegon's Conquest, King Torrhen Stark kneeled to Aegon the Conquerer. For his submission, House Stark was allowed to rule the North as Lords of Winterfell and Wardens of the North. Towards the end of the third century after Aegon's Conquest, Lord Rickard Stark betrothed his heir Brandon to Catelyn Tully of Riverrun, and his daughter Lyanna to Lord Robert Baratheon of Storm's End. But when Lyanna disappeared with Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's involvement, Rickard and Brandon were executed by King Aerys II Targaryen after Brandon threatened the life of the crown prince in anger. During Robert's Rebellion, which began shortly after, Lord Eddard Stark served as one of the leaders of the rebellion. Years later he aided his friend, King Robert, fight Balon Greyjoy during Greyjoy's Rebellion. It was one of the few instances in which Eddard left the North; During the past fifteen years, he has mostly stayed close to home, keeping a distance from the intrigue-ridden politics of King's Landing. Read more...
- "This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel." – Gerold Dayne 
- "There will be pain." – Qyburn
- "I'll scream." – Jaime Lannister
- "A great deal of pain." – Qyburn
- "I'll scream very loudly." – Jaime 
- "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints – 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do...'" – Dolorous Edd 
Did you know...
- In the forest of Qohor, lemurs can be found which are said to have silver-white fur and purple eyes? They are sometimes called Little Valyrians.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 31, Jaime IV.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 13, Jon II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 34, Arya VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Qohor.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.