The Wall is a massive wall of ice, stretching 300 miles long and 700 feet high, crossing the northern peninsula of Westeros. It protects the Seven Kingdoms from dangers that lie beyond. It was built by Bran the Builder, a legendary King of Winter who is also said to have built Winterfell and helped design Storm's End.
The Wall is said to have been built 8,000 years ago by giants and the first members of the Night's Watch after the Long Night. The Wall is protected by the Night's Watch and, according to some, ancient spells and sorcery. Supposedly, Brandon the Builder had placed his foundations along the heights wherever possible. The Wall was much smaller at the time, having been built upon by the Night's Watch builders, who quarried huge blocks of ice from frozen lakes in the haunted forest and dragged them south to make the Wall higher, raising it over the centuries to its present size. However, the severely-reduced Night's Watch at the present time is limited to maintenance duty. A total of nineteen fortresses have been built along the Wall though only three, the Shadow Tower, Castle Black, and Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, are occupied during the current events. Read more...
- "Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out." – Dolorous Edd 
- "Winter is Coming." – The words of House Stark
- “Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.” – Oath of the Night’s Watch 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 68, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ So Spake Martin July 14, 2011 , UNION SQUARE SIGNING
- ↑ So Spake Martin May 06, 2005, To be Continued, CHICAGO
About the Wiki
Nine sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.