This project is a part of westeros.org which provides the web space and technical support.
There are currently 8,269 articles.
Barristan Selmy, also known as Barristan the Bold, is a celebrated hero in Westeros and a veteran knight of the Kingsguard. Barristan was the heir of Lyonel Selmy. As a boy of ten, he donned the armor of a mystery knight during a tourney, where Prince Duncan the Small took pity on him when others present laughed at the small boy. Barristan lost his first tilt, but Duncan named him "the Bold" upon discovering his opponent had been a ten-year-old boy.
Barristan was knighted at the age of 16 by King Aegon V Targaryen, and joined the Kingsguard at the age of 23, after slaying Maelys the Monstrous during the War of the Ninepenny Kings during the reign of Jaehaerys II. Barristan continued to serve during the reign of Aerys II, whom he rescued from captivity during the Defiance of Duskendale. Barristan also fought in the War of the Usurper, where he became wounded on the Trident. Pardoned by the new king, Robert I Baratheon, Barristan continues to serve the Iron Throne as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.
A renowned tourney knight, Barristan is one of the most respected knights in the Seven Kingdoms. Though an old man, Barristan still rides forth into battle. Considering his Kingsguard vows to be important, Barristan has felt nothing but contempt for Jaime Lannister since the Sack of King's Landing. Read more...
- “You swore a vow to guard the king, not to judge him.” —Ser Gerold Hightower, to Jaime Lannister
- “The gall of them, fighting back!” —Tyrion Lannister
- It all goes back and back, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads. —Tyrion Lannister
Did you know...
- ... that the Port of Ibben, an icy port in the Shivering Sea, is lit by beacons burning whale oil?
- ... that the dwarfs Quentyn Martell and Gerris Drinkwater saw performing their folly in Volantis were Penny and her brother Oppo, on their dog and pig, Crunch and Pretty Pig?
- ... that the name of Archmaester Rigney, who claims history is a wheel, refers to Robert Jordan, author of the Wheel of Time fantasy series, whose real name is James Rigney?
Sister wikis in other languages
|French||La Garde de Nuit|
|Italian||La Barriera Wiki|
|Portuguese||Gelo e Fogo Wiki|
|Russian||Энциклопедия Песни Льда и Пламени|
|Spanish||Hielo y Fuego Wiki|
|Thai||Game of Thrones fansite|
|Turkish||Game Of Thrones Viki|
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.
- Check out the Community portal, see what we are working on or how can you help out or give feedback.
- If you have any questions about the wiki or helping out, you can ask at the A Forum of Ice and Fire Wiki Topic, which discusses various topics related to the wiki.
- Make sure to sign up at A Forum of Ice and Fire.