Difference between revisions of "Bestiary"
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
Revision as of 05:45, 11 December 2011
This article provides listing of all known animal types from ASOIAF world e.g. Animal which are directly referenced in the text or appears on the coats of arms. Most of the animals inhabiting the world are very similar to those in the real world Earth.
Special, Strange and fabled Animals
- Basilisks venomous creatures that infest the jungles of Yi Ti.
- Bloodflies found in the east, bee sized bloodsuckers.
- Centaurs are believed in, existing in myths and legend.
- Lizard-lions - massive, swamp-dwelling reptiles found in the Neck, these creatures are most likely large crocodilians.
- Manticoressmall poisonous creatures from the islands of the Jade Sea, it's sting is fatal to humans.
- Mammoths inhabit the far north and apparently the only pachyderm in Westeros. They are used as mounts by Giants.
- Krakens - huge squids said to be able to pull down whaling ships. They are largely considered a myth.
- Unicorns - large goatlike animals, with a long single horn on its head. Believed to live on Skagos.
- Ravens - physically similar to common ravens of Earth, ravens in Westeros are used to carry messages between castles. The maester of each castle usually tends to its stock of ravens. Maesters raise a breed of large, white ravens at the Citadel that are said to be more intelligent. Ravens sometimes imitate human speech like parrots.
- Direwolves - relatives of the wolf, but unlike their real-world equivalent they are much larger and stronger than regular wolves, reaching the size of a pony when fully grown. They are almost never seen south of the Wall.
- Aurochs - large relatives of the bull. They are frequently used as a symbol of size, strength, and stupidity. An aurochs was used as a mount by the mythical Clarence Crabb as a display of his prowess.
- Shadowcats - large predatory cats with black fur and white stripes who seem to be native to mountainous regions. Their pelts are prized.
- Zorses - black and white-striped horses, most likely similar to zebras, brought over and used as mounts by some foreigners in Westeros.
- Dragons - ferocious, magical creatures, dragons are not native to Westeros, but were brought to the continent by the Targaryens. They died out over one hundred years ago, and are thought to be extinct by the people of Westeros.
- Firewyrms Dragon Like creatures.
- Sand dogs
- Shaggy dogs
- Sand Steed
- Squirrels, Black Squirrels
- Foxes Black,White.
- Deer, male(harts), Red Hart(stag), white Harts.
- Elk, Giant elk.
- Monkeys, Apes.
- Snow shrikes
Fish and Marine Life
- Sea lions
- Pickled cave fish
- River pike
- Crabs mud,leopard, climber, spider
- Eels black, red,striped.
- King crabs
Reptiles, Insects and misc
- Snakes, Water snakes.
- Poisonous vipers.
- Lantern bugs.