Castle Driftmark is located on the south side of the island, with the port town of Hull located beneath its walls. Driftmark is a grim-looking castle, often damp and flooded. It has dark, salt-stained walls.
The island prospered when Corlys Velaryon was Lord of the Tides, and three fishing villages near Castle Driftmark developed into Hull. Because Driftmark was a damp and cramped castle, Corlys the Sea Snake raised a new castle to house the Driftwood Throne on the far side of the island. During the Dance of the Dragons, this new seat, High Tide, was burned by the greens amid the Battle in the Gullet, however.
The succession of House Velaryon was disputed after the passing of Lord Corlys. While Daemion and Daeron Velaryon were eventually reconciled with Lord Alyn Velaryon, Malentine and Rhogar Velaryon attempted to assassinate Alyn at Driftmark. Loyal guards alerted Alyn, however, and Malentine was slain and Rhogar choose to take the black.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.