A dragon lair is a lair inhabited by a dragon, it is their home. It appears that dragons tend to reside in their own lair alone. however other dragons may be lairing in the general vicinity, as they have done in the smokey caverns of Dragonmont volcano. and in the Fourteen Flames.
Dragons can carve lairs using flame and claw. Young dragons will carry their kills back to their lairs if the carcasses are light enough. The ground in a dragons lair can be strewn with burned and broken bones. Dragons have been known to lay clutches of eggs in their lairs.
Dragons have been known to lair in man made structures, such as the Dragonpit. and pyramid of Yherizan
Wild dragons laired in the Fourteen Flames, where the ancient Valyrians first discovered them.
Upon the death of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, the dragon Vermithor had no new rider throughout the reign of King Viserys I Targaryen. During this time, Vermithor remained on the island of Dragonstone and made his lair in one of the smoking caverns of the Dragonmont. At the start of the Dance of the Dragons, six wild and semi-wild dragons had their lairs in the smokey caverns of the volcano. During the war, after King's Landing fell to Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen and her supporters, Vermithor made a lair in the Dragonpit before flying off to battle.
Silverwing, one of only four dragons to survive the Dance, became wild during the reign of King Aegon III Targaryen and eventually made her lair on an island in Red Lake in the northwest of the Reach.
Known dragon lairs
- Dreamfyre - laired on Dragonstone
- Vermithor – laired in one of the smoking caverns of the Dragonmont.
- The Cannibal - laired at the back of Dragonmont, his lair was littered with the bones of would-be dragon tamers
- Sheepstealer - laired at the back of Dragonmont
- Grey Ghost - a smoking cavern of the Dragonmont
- Seasmoke- in a smoking vent high on the eastern side of the Dragonmont
- Silverwing - a smoking cavern of the Dragonmont, and later on an island in Red Lake
- Drogon - a shallow cave on Dragonstone
- Viserion - the pyramid of Uhlez
- Rhaegal - the pyramid of Yherizan
- The Dragonpit
A Dance with Dragons
Rhaegal and Viserion are confined and chained inside the pit within the Great Pyramid of Meereen. Eventually they both manage to loose themselves within the pit. Viserion digs a lair in the pyramid's thick wall where he sleeps. Once free from the pit, Rhaegal makes his new lair in the great black Viserion makes his lair in the pyramid of Uhlez.
Drogon makes his lair on a hill in the Dothraki sea dubbed "Dragonstone" by Queen Daenerys Targaryen.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 70, The Queen's Hand.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 68, The Dragontamer.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 71, Daenerys X.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Rise of Valyria.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.