Dragonflame or dragonfire is the fire produced by a dragon. The dragon expels its fire from its gullet and out of its mouth. The older and larger the dragon the more devastating its fire. The High Valyrian word for dragonfire is dracarys.
The flames of a dragon grow hotter and fiercer as the dragon ages. The flames of a hatchling can set straw aflame, whereas the flames of much older dragons are able to melt steel and stone. A dragon's scales, which thicken with age, protects the dragon from fire, although it is not entirely impervious to flame.
Each dragon can breath flames in a distinct color, potentially somewhat associated with the coloring of its body:
|Dragon||Color of body||Color of eyes||Flame|
|Balerion||Balerion's scales and wings were black.||Black flames, sometimes with swirls of red.|
|Drogon||Drogon's scales are black, his horns and spinal plates are blood red/||His eyes are smoldering red pits.||Black flames shot with red.|
|Quicksilver||Unknown||Pale white fireballs.|
|Rhaegal||Rhaegal's scales and wings are jade-green.||His eyes are bronze.[N 1]||Either yellow flames, yellow and red flames or "orange-and-yellow fire shot through with veins of green".|
|Sunfyre||Sunfyre had gleaming gold scales, which shone like beaten gold in the sunlight, and pale pink wing membranes.||Golden flames.|
|Tessarion||Tessarion's wings were a dark cobalt, while the scales of her claws, crest, and belly were a bright beaten copper.||Cobalt blue flames.|
|Viserion||Viserion's scales are cream colored, while his horns, wing bones and spinal crest are gold.||His eyes are the color of molten gold.||Pale gold flames shot through with red and orange.|
The Valyrian Freehold used dragonflame to make Valyrian steel. It was also employed in construction to melt and fuse stone to form dragonstone, as in the cases of the dragonroads and the Black Wall of Volantis.
During Aegon's Conquest, Aegon I Targaryen used Balerion's dragonflame against Harrenhal and at the Field of Fire. Afterwards, the flames of Balerion were used to forge the Iron Throne. Aegon and his sister-wife Visenya used the flames of their dragons Balerion and Vhagar to burn every Dornish stronghold at least once, with except Sunspear and its shadow city.
During the Dance of the Dragons, King Aegon II Targaryen is severely injured during the battle at Rook's Rest when dragonflame melts his armor into the flesh of his left arm. While attempting to claim the dragon Sheepstealer during the Red Sowing, Alyn Velaryon was injured by burns that covered his back and legs.
Silverwing, Sheepstealer, Seasmoke, and Vermithor descended upon the fleet of the Triarchy in the early days of 130 AC, and burned the ships by spitting balls of fire, "blue and orange, red and gold". Prince Aemond Targaryen brought Vhagar to the riverlands, where he burned numerous villages and castles.
Aegon II Targaryen and Sunfyre fought Lady Baela Targaryen and her dragon Moondancer on Dragonstone in 130 AC. During the battle, Moondancer was blinded by Sunfyre's flames, and shortly after succumbed to wounds received in battle. Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen was later executed by her brother, Aegon II, by being engulfed in Sunfyre's flames.
The Targaryens practise the custom of cremating their deceased family members. The funeral pyre of Aegon I Targaryen was lit by the dragon Vhagar, and the funeral pyre of Aenys I Targaryen by the dragons Quicksilver, Vermithor and Silverwing.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
At the start of the fall of Astapor Daenerys Targaryen commands Drogon to burn Kraznys mo Nakloz. Her two other dragons Viserion and Rhaegal are also unleashed. During the battle all three dragons are airborne, loosing their flames.
A Dance with Dragons
What feeds a dragon's fire?
Then the dragon opened its mouth, and light and heat washed over them. Behind a fence of sharp black teeth he glimpsed the furnace glow, the shimmer of a sleeping fire a hundred times brighter than his torch.—thoughts of Quentyn Martell
—thoughts of Tyrion Lannister
—thoughts of Jon Snow
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 8, Daenerys I.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- Fire & Blood, Aegon's Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 12, Reek I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 68, The Dragontamer.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 40, Daenerys III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 50, Daenerys VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Bad reference param2.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 72, Daenerys X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Seven Kingdoms: The Reach: Oldtown.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 48, Daenerys IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 27, Daenerys III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 45, Samwell V.
- The Winds of Winter, Tyrion II