Edd Tollett by Amok©
|Played by||Ben Crompton|
|TV series||Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 | Season 5 | Season 6 | Season 7 | Season 8|
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Eddison Tollett
Dolorous Edd appears to have been born to a lesser branch of the House Tollet, as he speaks of being raised in a crude house such as the poorer of the smallfolk might have. He was a squire recruited to the Night's Watch by Yoren, who told him women could not resist a man in uniform, leaving out the Night's Watch vow of celibacy.
A Clash of Kings
Edd is part of the great ranging beyond the Wall. Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, trusts his horse to Edd, and he also has Edd retrieve his axe to give as a gift to Craster. When Jon Snow joins Qhorin Halfhand's mission into the Frostfangs, Qhorin reminds Jeor that Edd can serve the Lord Commander as his steward.
A Storm of Swords
Once at Craster's Keep Edd is one of the few men that takes Sam seriously when he tells the men he slew an Other with his dragonglass dagger. Edd, along with Dywen, makes Sam and Grenn tell Lord Commander Mormont the tale. After the death of the Lord Commander during the mutiny at Craster's Keep over food, Edd flees with Grenn, Giant and other loyalists back to the Wall for fear of being killed by mutineers.
When the Weeper starts his assault near the Shadow Tower, Bowen Marsh assembles the garrison of Castle Black, along with Edd, to aid Ser Denys Mallister. During the battle beneath the Wall, the defenders name a straw sentinel after Edd.
A Feast for Crows
Edd says farewell to Sam when the boy leaves Castle Black.
A Dance with Dragons
Edd carries on his duties as Lord Commander Snow's steward. He is one of the men brought along as muscle to assist Jon in escorting Janos Slynt out of Castle Black to carry out his duties as garrison commander of Greyguard. Edd and Iron Emmett escort Janos outside for his execution.
Edd briefly returns to Castle Black with six wagons so more spearwives can be transported to Long Barrow.
Quotes by Edd
The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints—the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does he get more worms than I do...
Some dogs crawled atop me during the night. My cloak was almost dry when one of them pissed in it. Or perhaps it was Brown Bernarr. Have you noticed that the rain stopped the instant I had a roof above me? It will start again now that I’m back out. Gods and dogs alike delight to piss on me.
Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got the watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out.—Edd to Samwell Tarly
Edd: I never win anything. The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?
Grenn: Was it a long fall? Did landing in the pool of water save his life?Edd: No. He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks.
—Edd and Grenn
—Edd to his black brothers
—Cotter Pyke and Edd
Samwell: Jon wants to see me?
Edd: As to that, I could not say. I never wanted to see half the things I’ve seen, and I’ve never seen half the things I wanted to. I don’t think wanting comes into it. You’d best go all the same.—Samwell Tarly and Edd
Quotes about Edd
Edd, fetch me a block.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 13, Jon II.
- A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 39, Jon VIII.
- So Spake Martin: Direwolves and the Seven (October 29, 2001)
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 43, Arya VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 69, Jon IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 79, Jon XII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 21, Jon V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 44, Jon IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.