Fire & Blood
|Fire and Blood|
|Author||George R. R. Martin|
|Series||A Song of Ice and Fire|
Fire and Blood is a planned complete history of House Targaryen by George R. R. Martin. Fire and Blood is planned for publication after the completion of A Song of Ice and Fire. Before being titled Fire and Blood, the history was jokingly named the GRRMarillion after J. R. R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion.
Thus far, Fire and Blood is known to contain the following texts:
- The Sons of the Dragon
- Heirs of the Dragon
- The Dying of the Dragons
- Aftermath — The Boy King and His Regents
The "Heirs of the Dragon" is about 17,000 words long. It focuses on the children of Jaehaerys I Targaryen and the succession questions following the deaths of his sons. An abridged version, The Rogue Prince, previously published in the anthology Rogues in 2014, uses the majority of this text.
"The Dying of the Dragons" is an account on the Dance of the Dragons, and roughly 60,000 words in length.[N 1] An abridged version of 30,000 words was included in The Princess and the Queen, which was published in the anthology Dangerous Women in 2013.
Additionally, Fire and Blood is known to contain an account on the lives of King Aenys I Targaryen and King Maegor I Targaryen called The Sons of the Dragon, which Martin had read on two occassions, and which is set to be released in the anthology The Book of Swords in 2017.
On July 22nd, 2017, Martin revealed on his Not a Blog that the material for Fire and Blood had grown so large, that the decision had been made to publish the fake histories of the Targaryen kings in two volumes. The first volume is set to cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to and through the regency of the boy king, Aegon III Targaryen. The second volume covers the history from Aegon III's reign up to Robert's Rebellion, which ended the Targaryen dynasty. Martin reported that the first volume of Fire and Blood is largely written, whereas the second volume remains largely unwritten. Though no publication date has been set yet. but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019.
- Not A Blog: The Rogues Are Coming...
- Not A Blog: The Dangerous Women Are Coming
- Not A Blog: The Princess and the Queen (August 31, 2013)
- Not a Blog: A Bit More (Fake) History (January 31, 2017)
- r/asoiaf.com: (Spoilers Extended) The Possibilities for GRRM's New Novella in the Book of Swords Anthology
- Not a Blog comment: Ten Thousand Ships (May 20, 2014)
- asoiaf.westeros.org: When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2 (April 19, 2014)
- Not a Blog: The Swords are Drawn (July 22, 2017)