|Died||In 299 AC, Fist of the First Men|
Hake is a steward and cook of the Night's Watch.
Hake knows some herblore, and he carries a dirk.
A Game of Thrones
Hake accompanies Jeor Mormont when the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch inspects the corpses of Othor and Jafer Flowers in the haunted forest north of the Wall. Pyp overhears Hake saying that the two men had been part of Benjen Stark's ranging party.
Hake and Dywen unsuccessfully search for Benjen.
A Clash of Kings
Hake journeys beyond the Wall as part of the great ranging, and he prepares stews and soups for the Night's Watch. When Dolorous Edd disparages the smell of Hake's stew, the cook pats his dirk in response.
A Storm of Swords
Hake prepares hardbread and a bowl of bean and bacon soup for the Watch at the Fist of the First Men. Following the fight at the Fist, Samwell Tarly recalls that Hake has been lost.
When wights attack Samwell and Gilly at an abandoned wildling village, Sam thinks that one of the undead may be Hake, although it is difficult to tell because half of the walking corpse's head is missing. The survivors only manage to escape with the help of Coldhands; Sam sees ravens plucking flesh from Hake's shattered head.
Dywen: Seems to me like it smells ... well ... cold.
Hake: Your head's as wooden as your teeth. There's no smell to cold.—Dywen and Hake
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon IV.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 52, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 46, Samwell III.