|Died||In 278–299 AC|
|Book||A Clash of Kings (mentioned)|
Ser Harbert was a castellan of Storm's End for Lord Steffon Baratheon. He was either a Baratheon, an Estermont, or a bastard of either House.
Already old in 278 AC, Harbert was the great-uncle of Robert, Stannis and Renly Baratheon.[N 1]
During his time as castellan, Ser Harbert counseled Maester Cressen to kill Patchface because he thought that the fool was suffering due to his deteriorated mental state. Cressen disagreed and won the argument. Stannis Baratheon once found a wounded goshawk, which he named Proudwing, and nursed it back to health. He tried to teach the bird to hunt but had no success. Harbert persuaded Stannis to abandon the goshawk.
Since Ser Cortnay Penrose was castellan when Renly was made master of laws, it is clear that Harbert had died by the time Renly left for King's Landing.
- ↑ Harbert's family name is not stated in the books, he may have been an Estermont or a Baratheon. If it's the latter, then Harbert would be Lord Ormund Baratheon's younger brother.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Appendix.