|Coat of arms||Red, a black three-headed dragon|
|Died out||+/- 256 AL|
House Blackfyre was founded by Daemon Blackfyre, the bastard-son of Aegon IV after he was legitimized by his dying father. Daemon inversed the Targaryen arms for his coat of arms and named the house after the sword Blackfyre that his father gave him when he was fourteen. The sword had been the personal weapon of the first Targaryen king Aegon I and all his successors. Among the traits passed on to the Blackfyres by the Targaryens were the platinum blond hair, violet eyes and the premonition-like dream ability.
It is not known if lands were bestowed on Daemon.
In 195 AL Daemon and his friends and allies revolted against Daeron II, his half-brother, using the old rumor that Daeron was the son of Aemon the Dragonknight instead of Aegon IV and that the gift of the ancestral weapon Blackfyre proved that Aegon wanted Daemon to succeed him.
Ultimately the rebellion failed and Daemon and his two eldest sons perished on the Redgrass field. His surviving sons fled to the Free Cities with a number of supporters. The Second Blackfyre Rebellion took place in 212 AL. It never spread beyond the walls of Whitewalls, but several key Blackfyre supporters were killed. The remaining sons and their descendants attacked the Seven Kingdoms a number of times (as many as five Blackfyre rebellions have been mentioned).
The last attack was in 257 AL when Maelys the Monstruous joined forces with a number of ambitious men and invaded the Stepstones as a base for a future invasion of the Seven Kingdoms. Aegon V sent an army that defeated the rebels. Maelys the Monstruous was killed in single combat by Ser Barristan Selmy.
|Aenys||Two sons||Daughter(s)||Calla||Aegor Rivers|
References in the books
Dunk & Egg
- Daemon Blackfyre led the Blackfyre Rebellion.
- Daemon broke Lord Arryn's van at the Battle of the Redgrass Field, slaying Wyl Waynwood and the Knight of Ninestars and severely injuring Ser Gwayne Corbray of the Kingsguard. While protecting his fallen foes, Daemon and his two eldest sons, Aemon and Aegon Blackfyre, were slain by his half-brother Bloodraven and his Raven's Teeth.
- Daemon's remaining sons fled to the Free Cities with his principal supporter, Bittersteel.
- Daemon II Blackfyre instigated the Second Blackfyre Rebellion, but the rebellion was snuffed out quickly by Bloodraven before it could spread beyond Whitewalls.
- During the Whitewalls Tourney, Daemon II defeated Ser Franklyn Frey and Ser Galtry the Green.
- Daemon II had the premonition-like dream ability, previously only found in members of House Targaryen.
References and Notes