|Coat of arms||purple and white chequy with gold coins in the checks|
House Payne is a noble house from the Westerlands. It is one of the principal houses sworn to House Lannister. Their arms are purple and white chequy with gold coins in the checks. There is a story to the gold coins.
The Payne house at the end of the third century
The known Paynes during the time span described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ser Ilyn Payne: the King's Justice
With an unspecified familial relationship to the main branch:
References in the books
A Song of Ice and Fire
- Ser Ilyn Payne is the King's Justice. He came north to meet King Robert on his ride south after naming his new Hand of the King.
- Ser Ilyn had his tongue torn out by Aerys II.
- Podrick Payne is made Tyrion Lannister's squire.
- Podrick is the distant cousin of Ser Ilyn Payne.
- Ser Ilyn Payne executes Lord Eddard Stark on the steps of the Great Sept after being ordered by Joffrey I.
- During the Battle of the Blackwater, Ser Ilyn was stationed near Queen Cersei so if Stannis won, she would have him behead her to prevent her from falling into his hands.
- Podrick Payne is among the gathered nobility that welcomes the Dornish party, headed by Prince Oberyn Martell, to King's Landing.
References and Notes