|Coat of arms||
A cresting sea-green wave, on a black field|
(Sable, a wave cresting vert)
|Region||Vale of Arryn|
|Founded||Age of Heroes|
House Upcliff is a noble house from the Witch Isle off the coast of the Vale of Arryn. According to semi-canon sources, they blazon their arms with a cresting wave, sea green on black. Their words are not known.
The Upcliffs have a sinister reputation.
House Upcliff dates back to the Age of Heroes. During the coming of the Andals to the Vale of Arryn, Ursula Upcliff supported Robar II Royce, High King of the Vale, the Fingers, and the Mountains of the Moon. Ursula was slain by Torgold Tollett in the Battle of the Seven Stars, however.
The marriage of Arwen Upcliff to Alester II Arryn, King of Mountain and Vale, brought Witch Isle into the realm of House Arryn of the Eyrie.
House Upcliff at the end of the third century
The known Upcliffs during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- no member has appeared yet.
- Ursula Upcliff, a reputed sorceress who called herself bride of the Merling King.
- Arwen Upcliff, who married King Alester II Arryn.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Vale
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.