|House Yronwood of Yronwood|
|Coat of arms||A black portcullis grill over sand|
|Words||We Guard the Way|
|Head||Lord Anders Yronwood|
Warden of the Stone Way
|Founded||before -1000 AL|
The Yronwood were important kings in Dorne before the arrival of the Rhoynar, the head of the house continues to hold the title "The Bloodroyal". They fought the Martells during Nymeria's War and since then the two houses have been rivals for the control of Dorne. They joined Bittersteel against the Targaryens and Martells in three of the Blackfyre Rebellions, even though one the goals of the rebels was to remove the Dornish influence at court.
Their blazon, also semi-canon, is a black portcullis grill over sand.
The Yronwood House at the end of the third century
The known Yronwoods during the timespan of the events described on A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Ormond Yronwood Former Lord of Yronwood, died from poison after a duel with the Red Viper.
- Lord Anders Yronwood, Lord of Yronwood. Warden of the Stone Way. The Bloodroyal.
- Ser Archibald Yronwood, his cousin. Called the Big Man.
References in the books
A Song of Ice and Fire
- House Yronwood is among the principal houses sworn to Sunspear.
- When Oberyn Martell was no older than sixteen, he was found abed with old Lord Yronwood's paramour and they fought a duel. Although it was only to first blood, Lord Yronwood's wounds festered and he died shortly afterwards, originating rumors that the Red Viper's blade had been poisoned. This caused Prince Doran Martell to "repay a blood debt" which he felt obliged to do and sent his second child, Quentyn Martell, to foster with the new Lord of Yronwood. Quentyn was sent more than 10 years after the incident.
- Following Doran's instructions, Anders Yronwood mustered and maintained an army in the Boneway during the War of the Five Kings.
- Quentyn Martell served at Yronwood as page and squire. He chose to be knighted by Lord Anders himself instead of his uncle Oberyn Martell.
- Ser Cletus Yronwood was seen with Quentyn Martell at Planky Town, looking for a ship.
- Since his son and his maester were traveling with Quentyn to the east, with all probability Lord Anders Yronwood had been entrusted by Doran Martell with the critical secret of his support for the Targaryen restoration.
- House Yronwood fought for House Blackfyre in three of the Blackfyre Rebellions.
- Lord Anders delayed Ser Balon Swann at Yronwood by feasting him for a fortnight.
- Yronwood sits at the top of the Boneway pass.
References and Notes