- For the castle, see Yronwood.
Ironwood is a type of tree found in northern Westeros, including in the wolfswood in the north and in the haunted forest beyond the Wall. It is a hard, black wood. It is unknown if ironwood has a connection with ebony, the nightwoods of Essos, or the black-barked trees of Qarth. The doors to the crypts beneath Winterfell are made of ironwood, while the castle's godswood has ironwoods as old as the realm itself.
A Game of Thrones
Lord Eddard Stark beheads Gared for desertion on an ironwood stump.
Arya Stark packs her belongings in a polished ironwood chest larger than she is.
Tyrion Lannister's shield during the battle on the Green Fork is a massive slab of heavy ironwood banded with steel.
Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
In Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, House Forrester controls most of the wolfswood's ironwoods. Their seat, Ironrath, is located at the edge of the largest ironwood forest in Westeros. House Whitehill used to have control over a portion of the woods as well, but claims to have had too much of it taken away in an unspecified manner and driven to the need to use what was left. Their share is currently squandered. When burned, ironwood gives off a blue flame.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 26, The Wayward Bride.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Prologue.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 13, Jon II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 69, Bran VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 10, Jon II.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ The Telltale Blog: Your Story Begins: First details on 'Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series'
- ↑ Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, "The Lost Lords".