by Emile Denis © Fantasy Flight Games
|Title||Lady of Bear Island|
|Born||In or between 239 AC and 257 AC|
A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
|Played by||Elizabeth Barrett|
|TV series||Season 1|
Maege Mormont, known as the She-Bear, is the head of House Mormont and the Lady of Bear Island. She inherited her title from her nephew, Ser Jorah Mormont, after he fled into exile. She is the younger sister of the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Jeor Mormont.
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Maege Mormont
Maege is a stout, grey-haired woman and a fierce warrior. She dresses in patched ringmail and her favoured weapon is a spiked mace. She is dedicated to the old gods and loyal to House Stark. According to her brother, Jeor, she is stubborn, short-tempered and willful.
Maege inherited the title of head of House Mormont and ruler of Bear Island after her brother's only heir, Jorah Mormont, fled to the Free Cities to escape justice for selling poachers into slavery to pay for his debts. She worked hard to regain the family's noble name and to help the estate recover from the state of near-poverty Jorah left behind.
In-universe, no one knows who the father of Maege's children is or if they ever married. Apparently like her daughter Alysane, when pressed she would sarcastically say they were fathered by a bear. It seems no one dared call her daughters bastards, as they all use the surname "Mormont" - though given that she is a woman, no one doubts they are her children.
A Game of Thrones
Lady Maege and her heir, Dacey, lead their forces to Winterfell when Robb Stark calls his banners to ride south against the Lannisters. When the northern host splits at the Twins, Maege continues south in Robb's host. Her forces signal the springing of the trap at the Battle of the Whispering Wood. After Lords Greatjon Umber and Rickard Karstark proclaim Robb to be King in the North at Riverrun, Maege hails Robb as "King of Winter".
A Clash of Kings
After the Battle of Oxcross, Lady Mormont captures thousands of cattle in the Westerlands and drives them towards the Riverlands. It is not stated whether or not she manages to succeed in this task, as the passage back to the Riverlands is still held by the Lannisters.
A Storm of Swords
Lady Maege is among the northern lords who accompanies King Robb Stark north from Riverrun to attend the wedding of Edmure Tully at the Twins. At Hag's Mire, however, she and Galbart Glover are ordered by Robb to travel to Seagard. There they are to take separate ships from Lord Jason Mallister to sail up the Neck and to search for Greywater Watch as envoys to the crannogmen, in preparation for Robb's planned attack on ironborn-occupied Moat Cailin. The letters they carry will contain false commands for northern lords, however, in case they are captured by enemies. Maege's heir, Dacey, is one of those killed at the Twins during the Red Wedding.
A Dance with Dragons
Lady Maege is mentioned by her oldest surviving daughter, Alysane, when asked about her siblings by Asha Greyjoy. She is with two of her other daughters, Lyra and Jory, though it is not said where, while her youngest, Lyanna is back on Bear Island.
Quotes about Maege
You are not the only one touched by this war. Like as not, my sister is marching in your brother’s host, her and those daughters of hers, dressed in men’s mail. Maege is a hoary old snark, stubborn, short-tempered, and willful. Truth be told, I can hardly stand to be around the wretched woman, but that does not mean my love for her is any less than the love you bear your half sisters.
|Unknown Glover||Jorah||Lynesse Hightower||Dacey||Alysane||Unknown||Lyra||Jorelle||Lyanna|
References and Notes
- See the Maege Mormont calculation.
- Maege's possible years of birth all take place after Jeor's year of birth. See the Maege Mormont calculation and the Jeor Mormont calculation for more information.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- RPG Book, Guardians of Order, 2005
- [ http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/SF_Targaryens_Valyria_Sansa_Martells_and_More So Spake Martin]
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn XI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- It is Lyanna who answers Stannis's message when he demands allegiance from House Mormont. A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3
- It is currently unknown whether Alysane's children are trueborn, or bastardborn.