|Title||Lady of Bear Island|
|Born||In Before 264 AC |
A Game of Thrones (Appears)|
A Clash of Kings (Mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (Appears)
A Dance with Dragons (Mentioned)
|TV series||Season 1|
Lady Maege Mormont is the head of House Mormont and ruler of Bear Island. She inherited her title from her nephew, Ser Jorah Mormont, after he fled into exile. She is the sister of the Night's Watch Lord Commander Jeor Mormont.
Character and Appearance
She is a stout grey haired woman and a fierce warrior. She dresses in mail and her favoured weapon is a spiked mace. She is dedicated to the old gods, and loyal to House Stark and according to her brother, she is stubborn, short-tempered and willful.
Maege inherited the title of head of House Mormont and ruler of Bear Island after her brother's only heir, Jorah Mormont, fled to the Free Cities to escape justice for selling criminals into slavery to pay for his debts. She worked hard to regain the family's noble name and to help the estate recover from the state of near-poverty Jorah left behind.
A Game of Thrones
Lady Maege and her heir Dacey led their forces to Winterfell when Robb Stark called his banners and rode south against the Lannisters with host. When the northern host split at the Twins, Lady Maege continued south in Robb Stark's host. Her forces signalled the springing of the trap at the Battle of the Whispering Wood.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Lady Maege was among the northern lords who accompanied Robb Stark north from Riverrun to attend the wedding of Edmure Tully. Her heir Dacey was one of those killed during the Red Wedding, however Maege herself survived because Robb had sent her and Galbart Glover to Seagard. There they where to take separate ships from Lord Jason Mallister to sail up the Neck, to search for Greywater Watch as envoys to the crannogmen. She also holds Robb's declaration that names his successor.
A Dance with Dragons
Lady Maege is mentioned by her daughter, Alysane, when asked about her siblings by Asha Greyjoy. She is with two of her daughters, Lyra and Jory, though it is not said where, while her youngest, Lyanna is back on Bear Island.
|Unknown Glover||Jorah||Lynesse Hightower||Dacey||Alysane||Unknown||Lyra||Jorelle||Lyanna|
References and Notes
- Her eldest daughter was born before 276
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.
- RPG Book, Guardians of Order, 2005
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- It was her who answered Stannis' message when he demanded allegiance from the House Mormont. A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3
- It is currently unknown whether Alysane's children are trueborn, or bastardborn.