Daenerys in Meereen, by lvlorf3us
|Location||Slaver's Bay, Essos|
|Religion||Gods of Ghis|
|Founded||Thousands of years ago|
|Notable places||Great Pyramid, Temple of the Graces, Daznak's Pit, Purple Lotus|
|Organizations||Great Masters, Graces, Shavepates, Sons of the Harpy|
Meereen is the northernmost and the largest of the three great Slaver Cities of Slaver's Bay. It is ruled by the Great Masters, the heads of Meereen's slaving families, and its wealthiest of citizens live in stepped pyramids.
Meereen lies on the northeast coast of Slaver's Bay at the mouth of the Skahazadhan, where it flows from its origins in Lhazar through a range of sandstone mountains separating Meereen and the rest of Slaver's Bay from the red waste.  The Dothraki sea lies to the north, beyond the river. To reach Lhazar from Meereen one must pass through the Khyzai Pass.
- See also: Images of Meereen
Meereen is as large as Astapor and Yunkai combined. Like them it is made of brick, except here the bricks are of many colors. The streets are wide and the fighting pits are red. The city is dominated by the monstrous Great Pyramid.
Meereen's walls are high, studded with bastions and anchored by great defensive towers at every angle. The north wall of the city runs along the river bank of the Skahazadhan, the river that flows through the city. Its west wall runs along the shore of Slaver's Bay. Bronze harpy heads with open mouths top its gates, from which the Meereenese can pour boiling oil to deter attackers. Meereen draws its water from deep wells instead of the Skahazadhan into which the sewers of the city empty out..
- The Great Pyramid is huge, eight hundred feet tall and topped with a towering bronze harpy. There are a score of lesser pyramids in the city, but none stand even half as high.
- The Temple of the Graces is a huge structure topped with golden domes. It houses the priestesses of Meereen, called the Graces. They are divided into groups, each with a specific color and specialty. It lies to the west of the Great Pyramid.
- The fighting pits are huge circular arenas built of many multicolored bricks. The largest and most extravagant in Meereen is Daznak's Pit.
Meereen is renowned for trading in slaves who are used in every aspect of life, including as guards, cleaners, pit fighters, and pleasure givers. Healthy young girls and boys under ten are especially sought after as slaves to be used in brothels. Slavers in Meereen only cut off testicles when making eunuchs, as opposed to Astapor, where they cut off both penis and testicles.
Meereen is ruled by slaving families who reside in the city's pyramids. The greater and more powerful families have larger pyramids.
Meereen was a colony of the Old Empire of Ghis. Although Meereen survived the destruction of Old Ghis at the hands of the Valyrian Freehold, it was conquered by the Valyrians, who made it a center for the slave trade.
Copper is plentiful in the Ghiscari hills, but the metal is not as valuable as it had been when bronze ruled the world. Cedars once grew tall along the coast but grow no more; they were felled by the axes of the Old Empire or consumed by dragonfire when Ghis made war against Valyria. Once the trees had gone, the soil baked beneath the hot sun and blew away in thick red clouds. According to Galazza Galare it was these calamities that transformed her people into slavers. Without slaves Meereen has little to offer.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
The Great Masters scorch the earth around Meereen when they hear Daenerys Targaryen's army is marching on the city. The city is soon besieged by the forces of Daenerys. She takes the city by sending men through the sewers and battering down the eastern gate. After receiving news from Astapor, which has not fared well since its earlier capture, Daenerys decides to remain and learn to rule in Meereen instead of spreading her rule elsewhere.
A Dance with Dragons
Daenerys resides in the Great Pyramid after conquered the city, in large chambers at the apex of the pyramid. She abolishes slavery within the city, but the practice is continued in the hills where slaves still work on the estates of the wealthy.
While several of the Wise Masters accept the rule of Daenerys, an organization known as the Sons of the Harpy wage a shadow war against her, slaying small groups of freedmen, shavepates and Unsullied in the dead of night. Some suspect their mysterious leader, the Harpy, is Hizdahr zo Loraq, while others believe the Sons of the Harpy have no leader.
The armies of Yunkai surround the city. The ruling council of Meereen assumes command of the overseeing of Meereenese affairs when Daenerys flees from Daznak's Pit on Drogon's back. Headed by the Queen's Hand, Ser Barristan Selmy, they meet to discuss how to best deal with the Yunkish army.
The Winds of Winter
The second siege of Meereen commences.
You will not make Meereen rich and fat and peaceful. You will only bring it to destruction, as you did Astapor.
Before you came Meereen was dying. Our rulers were old men with withered cocks and crones whose puckered cunts were dry as dust. They sat atop their pyramids sipping apricot wine and talking of the glories of the Old Empire whilst the centuries slipped by and the very bricks of the city crumbled all around them. Custom and caution had an iron grip upon us till you awakened us with fire and blood. A new time has come, and new things are possible.
Chapters that take place at Meereen
- A Storm of Swords: 57. Daenerys V
- A Storm of Swords: 71. Daenerys VI
- A Dance with Dragons: 2. Daenerys I
- A Dance with Dragons: 11. Daenerys II
- A Dance with Dragons: 16. Daenerys III
- A Dance with Dragons: 23. Daenerys IV
- A Dance with Dragons: 30. Daenerys V
- A Dance with Dragons: 36. Daenerys VI
- A Dance with Dragons: 43. Daenerys VII
- A Dance with Dragons: 47. Tyrion X
- A Dance with Dragons: 50. Daenerys VIII
- A Dance with Dragons: 52. Daenerys IX
- A Dance with Dragons: 55. The Queensguard
- A Dance with Dragons: 57. Tyrion XI
- A Dance with Dragons: 59. The Discarded Knight
- A Dance with Dragons: 60. The Spurned Suitor
- A Dance with Dragons: 66. Tyrion XII
- A Dance with Dragons: 67. The Kingbreaker
- A Dance with Dragons: 68. The Dragontamer
- A Dance with Dragons: 70. The Queen's Hand
References and Notes
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of Valyria
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 61, Daenerys VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 23, Daenerys II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 42, Daenerys IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man, p 84.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V, p 545.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.