Meereen is the northernmost of the three great slaver cities of Slaver's Bay. It is the largest of the Slaver cities and is renown for trading in slaves. It is ruled by the Great Masters and its wealthiest of citizens live in stepped pyramids.
Meereen lies on the northeast coast of Slaver's Bay at the mouth of the Skahazadhan, where it flows from its origins in Lhazar through the range of sandstone mountains separating Meereen and the rest of Slaver's Bay from the Red Waste.  The Dothraki Sea lies to the north, beyond the river. To reach Lhazar from meereen one must pass through the Khyzai Pass.
Meereen is as large as Astapor and Yunkai combined, like them it made of bricks, which are of many colors here. It has wide brick streets and the fighting pits are red. The city is dominated by the Great Pyramid. Meereen walls are high, studded with bastions and anchored by great towers at every every corner there are defensive towers. The north wall of the city runs along the river bank of the Skahazadhan, the river that flows through the city. Its west wall runs along the shore of Slaver's Bay. Its gates has brone harpy heads above its gates, with open mouths, from which the Meereenese can squirt boiling oil from those mouths to deter attackers. Meereen draws its water from deep wells instead of the Skahazadhan river into which the sewers of the city empty out..
- The Great Pyramid is huge, eight hundred feet tall and topped with a bronze harpy.There are a score of lesser pyramids in the city, but none stand even half as high.
- Temple of the Graces, a huge structure with topped with golden domes. It houses the priestesses of Meereen, called Graces. The Graces are divided in groups with each a specific color and a specialty. The Blue Graces are specialized in healing. It lies to the west of the Great Pyramid.
- The Fighting pits are huge circular arenas built of many multicolored bricks they similar in stature but smaller to the colosseums in ancient Rome. The largests and most extravagant and the main one in Meereen is Daznak's Pit.
The Great Pyramid is huge, 800 feet tall with a towering bronze harpy at its top.
Meereen renown for trading in slaves. Slaves are used in every aspect of life as guards, cleaning, fighting in pits and pleasure. Healthy young girls and boys under ten are especially sought after as slaves to be used in brothels.
Slavers in Meereen only cut off the testicles when making eunuchs, compared to Astapor, where they cut off both penis and testicles. When Daenerys Targaryen took Meereen, she abolished slavery within the city. However the practice was continued in the hills where slaves still worked on the estates of the wealthy.
Sons of the Harpy
The Sons of the Harpy are a secret group that uses guerrilla-like techniques to undermine Daenerys Targaryen's rule. No one knows who their mysterious leader, the Harpy, is. Some suspect it might be Hizdahr zo Loraq, while others believe the sons have no leader.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
The Great Masters scorched the earth around Meereen when news that Daenerys Targaryen's army was marching on the city. The city was soon beseiged by the forces of Daenerys. Daenerys took the city by sending men through the sewers and battering down the eastern gate. After receiving news from Astapor, that she had conquered earlier, Daenerys decided to remain and learn to rule in Meereen instead of spreading her rule somewhere else.
A Dance with Dragons
While several of the Wise Masters have accepted the rule of Daenerys Targaryen an organization known as the Sons of the Harpy are waging a shadow war agaisnt her and slaying small groups of Freedmen, Shavepates and Unsullied in the dead of night.
References and Notes
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of Valyria
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 61, Daenerys VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 23, Daenerys II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man (Quentyn I), page 84