Melisandre's ruby is a single great ruby gemstone belonging to Melisandre of Asshai, a red priestess of R'hllor. It ornaments a red gold choker that is tighter than any maester's chain. The ruby choker is always worn at Melisandre's throat.
The ruby often gleams red, glimmers, glows, shimmers redly, pulses with light, or throbs. Melisandre sometimes touches the ruby at her neck. When she works magic, the ruby glows with power, and it may be able to burn her if the magic worked is particularly demanding.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
Rattleshirt wears an iron wrist cuff set with a large square-cut ruby, which Melisandre had given him. Jon sees the ruby pulse in time with Melisandre's ruby, and she tells Jon that as long as Rattleshirt wears the ruby, he is bound to her, blood and soul. In truth, Rattleshirt is actually Mance Rayder, glamored to appear as Rattleshirt via the ruby in his wrist cuff, magically enslaved to Melisandre's own. To remove the glamor and show Jon Mance's true appearance, Melisandre touches the ruby at her neck and speaks a word. The ruby in the wildling's wrist cuff darkens, and the glamor dissipates.
Melisandre remembers that when the flames were burning Rattleshirt glamoured as Mance, the ruby at her throat had grown so hot that she feared her own flesh might start to smoke and blacken. She is thankful that Jon delivered her from that agony when he ordered "Mance" to be shot with arrows, Rattleshirt's death causing her to shudder with relief.
—thoughts of Melisandre
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 63, Davos VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 31, Melisandre I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 58, Davos III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.