|Born||In c. 282 AC, King's Landing|
|Died||In 283 AC, King's Landing|
|Book(s)||A Dance with Dragons (Mentioned)|
His mother died birthing him and his father sold him to Lord Varys for a jug of Arbor gold - his father had other sons but had never tasted Arbor gold. Varys gave the pisswater prince to Elia Martell and carried Aegon away for his own safety. 
During the Sack of King's Landing, Ser Gregor Clegane scaled Maegor's Holdfast  and entered the nursery of the infant Prince Aegon, son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, and killed the baby present by dashing the boy's head against a wall.      He then raped Princess Elia Martell, his hands still covered with the blood of the murdered baby.   
References in the Books
A Song of Ice and Fire
- Travelling down the Rhoyne aboard the Shy Maid Tyrion Lannister manages to puzzle out that Young Griff might in fact Aegon Targaryen, although he hasn't managed to figure out how he managed to survive the the events following the Trident. Aegon discloses to Tyrion Lannister that as an infant he was swapped with a tanner’s son from Pisswater Bend.
References and Notes
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 22, Tyrion VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 11, Jaime II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 64, Daenerys VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 12, Eddard II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 70, Tyrion X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 17, Tyrion IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Epilogue.