|Castle, former Regional Capital|
Riverrun by Feliche©
House Frey of Riverrun|
House Tully (exiled) , Feudal Lord.
|Religion||Faith of the Seven|
Riverrun is a strong three-sided castle, although not especially large. The castle is bordered on two sides by rivers, while on the west a third side faces a massive man-made ditch. In time of danger the sluice gates can be opened to fill a wide moat and leave the castle surrounded on all three sides by water, turning Riverrun into an island and leaving it practically unassailable.
The castle has sandstone walls which rise sheer from the water, its battlements are crenelated and have arrow loops, and its towers command the opposite shores. Riverrun's keep is located inside. Properly garrisoned, Riverrun can hold supplies for men and horses for as long as two years; a garrison of two hundred men is larger than Riverrun requires in most circumstances.
- The Keep, The inner keep is triangular, like Riverrun itself, and the lord's solar is triangular as well with a stone balcony jutting eastwards. The solar can be reached by a spiral stairway.
- The Great Hall, It's where the Large councils are held and the high seat of the Tullys sits. There is a private audience chamber above the Great Hall with a high seat for the lord and a bell to ring for servants.
- Dungeons, The dungeons of Riverrun are windowless, their doors are heavy and made of wood and iron.
- Wheel Tower, The Wheel Tower has a great waterwheel within it, which is turned by the Tumblestone whose waters go through it. It has Ivy climbs along side it, below it one makes a wide turn and ends up in churning waters. Eventually one can reach the Water Gate.
- Water Gate, The Water Gate has a wide arch and a heavy iron portcullis, red with rust in its lower half. It is named so for being half in the water. One must use a boat to go through it. Many boats are tied up within the 'Water Gate', secured to iron rings in the walls and the 'water stair' leads from the lower bailey up to the Castle.
- Godswood, The godswood is a bright and airy garden, with redwoods, flowers, nesting birds, and streams. Like all Southern godswoods, its weirwood was cut down over a thousand years ago.
- Sept, The sept at Riverrun is a seven-sided sandstone building. It was built by Hoster Tully and set amidst the gardens that his wife Minisa Whent cherished. Inside, the images of the Seven Holies are painted on marble.
A Game of Thrones
During the War of the Five Kings, Riverrun is besieged by a Lannister host commanded by Jaime Lannister. It is relieved in the Battle of the Camps by a Stark force commanded by Robb Stark. In the Great Hall of Riverrun Robb is elevated to King in the North by his Northern bannerman as well as the river lords, who have never been part of the old Northern kingdom.
A Storm of Swords
Following the death of Robb at the Red Wedding, Tywin Lannister strips House Tully of Riverrun and grants it to Emmon Frey, forming House Frey of Riverrun. However, Brynden Tully continues to hold the castle against a Frey siege.
A Feast for Crows
Jaime Lannister negotiates the surrender of Riverrun from House Tully to House Frey.
Chapters that take place at Riverrun
- A Game of Thrones: 71. Catelyn XI
- A Clash of Kings: 7. Catelyn I
- A Clash of Kings: 39. Catelyn V
- A Clash of Kings: 45. Catelyn VI
- A Clash of Kings: 55. Catelyn VII
- A Storm of Swords: 2. Catelyn I
- A Storm of Swords: 14. Catelyn II
- A Storm of Swords: 20. Catelyn III
- A Storm of Swords: 35. Catelyn IV
- A Feast for Crows: 33. Jaime V
- A Feast for Crows: 38. Jaime VI
- A Feast for Crows: 44. Jaime VII